A "Body Positive" Rant

A "Body Positive" Rant

It's not as easy as it sounds but it's worth it.

377
A "Body Positive" Rant
Tumblr

2016 is the year where everyone is raising their voices on issues impacting us on a daily basis. Body positivity seems to be one of these issues. What a time to be alive where a movement like this is on the mainstream. However, there has been a few misconceptions and holes about this movement such as mistaking skinny shaming for body positivity. With songs like "All About That Bass", it's hard to understand the importance and concept of the movement itself. It is mistaken to think that it's plus sized girls having the right to shame skinny women, as their way to protest against what one may call "beauty standards".

Sure, I can go on and on preaching that people should love themselves and be comfortable in their own skin. This has not been my case always. I am still learning to be fully confident about my skin and that all this positivity should include more than looks, that I have more to put on the table than my appearance. I recognize there are days where I won't feel great and that's okay; feeling good about myself doesn't give me the right to shit all over other people's bodies. This doesn't mean I'm not going to do anything about my body for the sake of loving myself as I am, and considering hypocrite trying to change my appearance. No. That's not how this works. Instead, I am learning to take care of myself, understanding that whatever I do to my body is for the better me and not to fit someone else's standards.

You should too. You should stop viewing others as your competition and focus on yourself. If you prefer a certain type of body, you are entitled to your right. Even if you're not attracted to your own body or someone else's, don't trash it. Instead, respect it.