If We Are The Body

If We Are The Body

If we are the body, I think a few of the pieces stopped working.

6
If We Are The Body
Oak Creek Bible

This is a big piece of scripture, but it is worth reading all the way through, I promise.

"12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it,25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts." 1 Corinthians 12:12-31

God has appointed each of us and given us a role as the body of Christ. In the human body you have arms, legs, eyes, ears, a nose, and lots of other parts.

The same goes for the body of Christ. Each of us have a specific role. A human body without a leg works, but doesn't function as well as it would with both legs. The body of Christ can work with some roles absent, but all are needed to function at full capacity.

Can you imagine how amazing and how spiritually effective the body of Christ would be if every single one of us did as God has commanded us to? I heard a song a while back, I can't remember the name, and can't remember the exact lyrics, but it was something along the lines of, "What if Jesus said only what you say? What if Jesus did only what you do?" Can you imagine what life would be like?

We need to fulfill our role as a body of Christ and be Christ-like, for it is our job as Christians and we owe it to Jesus, who owed nothing to us, but paid it all!

"Jesus payed much too high a price for us to pick and choose who should come, and we are the body of Christ." If We Are The Body - Casting Crowns