6 Board Games That Have The Power To Ruin Friendships & Break Up Families, No Questions Asked

Time to pay that Boardwalk rent, Mom.
441

We all want to meet up for that friendly game in our dorm room or apartment just to pass the time. Have some friends over, eat some snacks, and pull out that board game that in a few minutes will have you grappling at each other's throats, pulling each other's hair, and screaming that it was an unfair game, they should have lost and they had all the best hands.

But no matter how bad it may get, we still come back asking for another round.

1. Risk

Not a personal favorite, but maybe that is due to my traumatic experiences with this never-ending game. Whenever my friends want to play this I cringe a little on the inside. The tension when alliances are broken and betrayal is happening is nearly tangible.

2. Monopoly

I played this growing up as a child and I never once thought about the amount of screaming one game could cause. It's a competitive world out there. Such a simple but ruinous game.

3. Concept

See, I wouldn't think that this would make the list. But the amount of frustration that the player gets when it is something so simple, yet everyone else is thinking it's something incredibly abstract, is just unbelievably frustrating and makes you want to just shout the word right in their face. How could they not know what you're trying to say (show)?!

4. Coup

A simple strategy of just trying to deceive people and then teaming on other people, infuriating them. Especially when some of the rounds are just rapid fire so it's a back-and-forth rival sometimes.

5. Telestrations (AFTER DARK)

OK, so I know this isn't an ultimate "ruiner of friendships," BUT having your friends not know what you draw or making it purposefully more inappropriate than it needs to be is a dark aspect of this game. Although incredibly hilarious and makes you just want to play, round after round. Plus it can get awkward real quick.

6. Settlers of Catan

Truly an addicting game that also has no problem ruining friendships, relationships, family members and the like. It is one of my favorite games right now but it also gives me such an unsettling feeling when asked to play due to the amount of stress I'm about to endure.

Happy playing!