Album Review: "Blurryface" By Twenty One Pilots

Pop's zaniest duo

239

The mixed bag of every genre crew returns with the highly anticipated album “Blurryface”. Two years removed from their energetic label effort “Vessel”, “Blurryface” represents everything we love about Twenty One Pilots with a little more bite. The group is actually piloted by two high school friends, Tyler Joseph (Vocals, keyboards) and Josh Dun (percussion). What genre? No one really knows. The band switches genres mid-album and many times, mid-song. Simply put, they change their style faster than fashion itself can move (you’re wearing THAT?). Many have put them into the pop category with hints of hip-hop, alternative and some reggae…seriously. This album is definitely a concept and a story, a well-written one at that. Joseph has overcome depression multiple times and has used his faith to make him stronger. “Vessel” was more of a victory lap of overcoming that adversity while “Blurryface” focuses more on the struggle itself. Coupled together, it is no surprise that this band serves as an inspiration to so many struggling teens in the United States.

“Blurryface,” unlike “Vessel,” carries a darker tone lyrically yet keeping the energy on par. The album’s first track “Heavydirtysoul” draws the closest parallel to their previous album which started with “Ode to Sleep.” In a similar fashion, Joseph starts off the album with a hard line of hip hop lyrics on top of a sinister track. The track abruptly hits the chorus where Joseph’s voice breaks through with “Can you save?” This first instance of his vocals is a refreshing one as one can immediately tell his range has improved.

“Stressed Out” comes up next on the album and is a complete reversal from track one. Joseph raps the verses and sings the chorus. This song is drastically different from other Twenty One Pilots singles. Dun’s drum line is infectious to say the very least and makes it near impossible to not bob your head while listening to it. The song will undoubtedly be a radio hit as the hook is irresistible. Lyrically, this is what we have come to expect from Joseph. Personal, memorable, unforgettable. This song also marks the introduction to the album’s main antagonist “Blurryface”, a villain (his own depression and self doubt) that Joseph has faced before.

Following “Stressed Out” is no small task and the next track “Ride” tries to do just that. For longtime Pilot fans, this draws many comparisons to “Ruby” and “Fall Away” for me. This song is very simple and yet, I find myself having it in my head. “Ride” is a great song to study to in my opinion. Joseph shows off the range with a perfectly hit note when he yells “I’ve been taking my time.”

“Fairly Local” is one of those songs that I just don’t know what to do with. This is by far the darkest sound they have in any song. The song perfectly personifies what the group is trying to do with the “Blurryface” concept. The beginning reminds me a lot of “Clint Eastwood” by Gorillaz. In the beginning of “Clint Eastwood,” it sounds like he is breaking out of his bondage to wreak havoc once again. The same principle applies here. I truly believe this is the anthem for the antagonist in this album’s story. The message is simple: Joseph has been around long enough to battle “Blurryface” more than once. The analogy to “local” is his own mind and the battle that ensues.

Taking a break from the story of the album, “Tear in My Heart” is a welcoming change of pace. Piano lovers rejoice, Joseph brings the keyboards back in this radio-friendly pop/synth masterpiece. Cleverly used as a single before the album’s release, this track will a nice introductory song for new fans of Twenty One Pilots. The music video also features Joseph’s newlywed wife, Jenna. The chemistry between Joseph and Dun has never been more evident than in this track.

“Lane Boy” comes next and I have to say, this song is a hot mess…in a beautiful way. It sounds more like a freestyle as Joseph returns to his hip-hop ways. The albums best lyrics are found in “don’t trust a perfect person and don’t trust a song that’s flawless.” As broken up as this song is in its flow, the flaws of the track are perfect. Watching some of the live shows, this song looks like it is an absolute blast to see at a concert.

Many folks first exposure to Twenty One Pilots was the song “House of Gold.” If “House of Gold” had a brother, it would be the next track “The Judge.” Yes sir, the ukulele has returned and it is beautiful. I don’t know if there is a better representation of the vocal talents of Joseph than this song. Lyrically, the song talks about not being perfect (“I’m best friends with my doubt”), but the belief and faith will “set you free.” This is by far my favorite song on the album.

For those who listen to mainstream radio, “Doubt” will not be any surprise to you. For the lifelong Twenty One Pilots fan, you may have to double check that you put the right CD in your car. The duo takes on a heavy synth/pop ballad and executes it to perfection. Joseph uses his Christian faith to inspire him when he writes his lyrics. The chorus “even when I doubt you, I’m no good without you. Don’t forget about me” stands out as both a thank you and plea to God for always being by his side regardless of his situation.

“Polarize” comes as an interesting track following “Doubt.” Joseph raps about how he wants to be a “better brother and a better son”, but the focus of the track is with Dun. I’m still trying to figure out how many different percussion instruments to make this arrangement. We may never know, but he sure beats the daylights out of every single one of them.

The most fun track you’ll ever hear from this group comes next with “We Don’t Believe What’s on TV.” This track is the second instance of Joseph's ukulele, but in a completely different form. The entire first verse builds until the bridge where it breaks down seemingly out of nowhere. In the lyrics, Joseph talks about the joys of being young and soaking up his youth. The best line comes in the chorus “I used to say I wanna die before I’m old, but because of you I might think twice.” This is the perfect track for a summer road trip because of its off-the-walls instrumentals and the simple fact that Joseph sounds like he’s out of his mind.

“Message Man” is another 180-degree reversal from the previous song. Fans of “Semi-Automatic” from their previous album should love this track because of its melancholy brilliance. This track carries a much higher weight as we enter back into the story of “Blurryface.” Joseph personifies himself as the “Message Man” and warns of Blurryface’s tactics. The line in the chorus may be the most important of the entire album “These lyrics aren’t for everyone only if you understand.” Joseph is pretty much stating that until one goes through depression, the lyrics he sings won’t have much of an effect. Arguably the best verse on the album comes when Joseph spits off a rap that is nearly impossible to replicate. I highly recommend you give a listen and just try to repeat.

In a complete twist that throws even the most hardcore Twenty One Pilots fans, “Hometown” is the outlier of the album. This will inevitably be buried due to its position on the album and the difference from what the band usually represents. For a fair comparison, this track sounds like it could have been on Foster the People’s album “Torches” from 2011. Very repetitive yet very catchy, “Hometown” shows the lower registers of Joseph’s vocals. The ending sounds very Swedish House Mafia-esque.

The next track can only be described as “Tyler’s Anthem.” Its actual name, “Not Today” makes for an intriguing listen. The song itself is extremely uplifting despite the lyrics being all over the map. Joseph talks about his sadness and despair as well as taking a stand against Blurryface…all in the same verse. Dun’s wonderfully crafted drum line makes the track one of my favorites. Simply put, if you want an accurate representation on what goes on in the beautiful mind of Joseph, this song is a perfect summary of just that.

Holy piano….”Goner” ends the album in style. A little history lesson: Joseph and Dun posted a song on YouTube many years ago with Joseph singing this song while playing the accordion. When the tracklist was released for this album, many fans expected it to be the first single released. They, however, would have to wait until the album’s release. The accordion was replaced with a piano line that will live in Twenty One Pilots’ legend for years to come. This brings the story of the album full circle as this is the final battle with Blurryface. The chorus suggests that Joseph has lost “I’m a goner” but as he pleads to God “Don’t let me gone,” the tone changes dramatically. Once the climax of the song is reached, Joseph unexpectedly yells the last lines full of soul. The ending always gives me chills with him saying “I wanna be known by you” with him walking towards his faith for the final victory.

Overall, this album is a mixed bag of emotions and does not keep a consistency throughout. And that folks is why it is an absolute masterpiece. It is in many ways a beautiful disaster, just as the band intended it to be. I personally guarantee that everyone can relate to this album in a couple ways or line for line. The bravery of Joseph’s lyrics together with the most underrated drummer of our generation, Dun, makes this album one of my favorites. While radio stations may not be able to pick a new song to play every month on repeat, you sure can do so yourself. It is a full album, it is a story and it is raw. Well done, boys!

Song Ratings:

1. Heavydirtysoul- 7

2. Stressed Out- 10

3. Ride- 8

4. Fairly Local- 8

5. Tear in My Heart- 9

6. Lane Boy- 7

7. The Judge- 10

8. Doubt- 9

9. Polarize- 8

10. We Don’t Believe What’s on TV- 9

11. Message Man- 10

12. Hometown- 6

13. Not Today- 8

14. Goner- 10