Shawn Mendes' Song "In My Blood" Is An Anthem For People With Anxiety

Help me, it's like the walls are caving in.
438

After waiting so long for Shawn Mendes to release a new song, he blows us away with "In My Blood."

This is a side we have never seen of Shawn as he usually produces fun pop anthems. With "In My Blood," Shawn shows his fans he is just like the rest of us, struggling to learn how to cope with life and all the anxieties that come with it. We tend to think we are alone in the battles we face in life, and that no one else understands what we are going through. Truth is, no one has a perfect life some people are just better at masking it than others.

For Shawn Mendes, he seems to have it all; he's got the talent, the looks, the fortune and the fame, but that's not all that it's cracked up to be. He is constantly traveling, meaning he's away from loved ones for long periods of time, he's dealing with gossip that drags his name through the mud, he's constantly trying to fit the image his PR team and label want him to execute and he's constantly under pressure to remain relevant in the world of Hollywood.

Now, I don't know about you, but I am stressed out just listing all the things he has to deal with daily. As someone who suffers from severe anxiety, when I heard this song, I felt at ease knowing it's not just me facing this never-ending battle.

"Help me, it's like the walls are caving in
Sometimes I feel like giving up
But I just can't
It isn't in my blood"

To start the song off, Shawn has opened up to show that sometimes he wants to just give it all up but he won't because it's not like him to give up. Instead, he's saying you need to dig deep and keep pushing through the hard times even if it seems like it will never end because you are not a quitter.

"Laying on the bathroom floor, feeling nothing
I'm overwhelmed and insecure, give me something
I could take to ease my mind slowly
Just have a drink and you'll feel better
Just take her home and you'll feel better
Keep telling me that it gets better
Does it ever?"

Right away Shawn dives into some pretty heavy stuff that most people with anxiety can relate to. You feel insecure, overwhelmed, numb and tired desperate to find a way to escape your never-ending thoughts for just a little bit. You ask for help but everyone tells you it will pass and to keep yourself busy in the meantime, but you doubt it will ever "get better."

Truth is, it probably won't get better right away and if you can't cope with that, it's time to see a therapist or see a doctor about possibly getting medication. Your mental health is important so respect yourself enough to find the help you need. You are not alone and there are people out there to help you cope.

Sometimes I feel like giving up
No medicine is strong enough
Someone help me
I'm crawling in my skin
Sometimes I feel like giving up
But I just can't"

Clearly, Shawn doesn't have the picture-perfect life we all assume, based on the pictures we see online and in magazines. In fact, he feels alone, trapped and helpless just wanting someone to realize he needs help. Anxiety is the worst because it feeds your thoughts and causes you to spiral out of control.

You begin to believe the worst scenario your mind plays over and over until you feel like everything is caving in. You just want to escape yourself because you'd do anything to have a peaceful moment. You just want someone to help you get there and achieve peace of mind.

"I'm looking through my phone again feeling anxious
Afraid to be alone again, I hate this
I'm trying to find a way to chill, can't breathe, oh
Is there somebody who could..."

We have all experienced this feeling before, thanks to our phone/social media addiction. You try so hard to make your life seem perfect on Instagram or Facebook that you get caught up in this fantasy when it isn't your reality.

Once you face that, you begin to wonder, "Do my friends still like me?" "What if I am not good enough anymore?" "What if there is someone out there who is better than me?"

This is a dark and lonely place to be, thinking everyone will leave eventually, so why let them in your life in the first place? Don't get too caught up in your phone and social media otherwise your mind will have a field day with the thoughts that your life isn't perfect and you aren't perfect.

Also, do not overthink text messages and subtweets; if there is an issue, address it over the phone or in person so you can hear the person's tone.

From here, the chorus repeats itself but it is clear that this song is pretty damn deep for his first single off the upcoming album. I have a feeling Shawn's new album will be the new anthem for people who suffer from anxiety.

As someone who struggles with anxiety and finding healthy ways to cope with it, music is sometimes a good escape for me. The world is a cruel and dark place sometimes, and it's okay to visit your dark place from time to time but you can't stay there. If you stay in the dark place, it will consume you and will be harder to leave. Everyone may seem like their life is together but that's false.

EVERYONE has their own battles they are fighting day to day and no one is perfect. You are not alone and that's exactly what Shawn is trying to say. Be strong and keep the faith because you will come out the other end a stronger and better person.