We All Bleed Red: Disability and Its Misconceptions

Labels belong on milk cartons, not people.

41
Huffington Post

Differences are the driving force behind the majority of social unrest. Whether it is skin color, gender, religion, or abilities; we as a society take these differences and work tirelessly to categorize others as different, incorrect, unclean, or below us. Yet at the very core of our being, we all bleed red. We are all human beings that came into the world as helpless, naked creatures, yet we work day in and day out to try and separate, classify, and categorize millions of people who are ultimately the same. So what is it like to classified? What is it like to be thought of as a category, a label? I’m searching for the answer, and the ways to reach equality as humans, because in the end, we all bleed red.

Disability is one of those many labels we try and place on other humans. But unlike a carton of milk in a grocery store, humans cannot truly be classified by one simple label. To learn more I spoke with Nate Richards, a student at Salem State University and advocate for ending the labels placed upon people with disabilities. Nate is a junior studying English with a minor in Educational Studies (seems appropos since at 21 he’s already teaching those around him a lot about the myths of disability.) Nate also has Familial Spastic Paraparesis (FSP), which affects his balances and the way he walks.

But though he has this disability, it certainly doesn’t stop him from much. Like many people with disabilities, he enjoys the same activities and experiences as someone without. He is a Resident Assistant, an Admissions Ambassador, and a stellar student. He also loves to ride his bike, which often many people assume he can’t do. He learned at a very young age and is consistently pushing out multi-mile rides, such as a recent 10-mile bike ride around the city of Salem. (Which blew my mind that ANYONE can ride a bike that long when I saw his post about it on Facebook, to be honest.)

Regardless of how much of a better of a bike rider than literally everyone else he is, Nate in general is certainly a special guy, not just because of his infectious spirit or generous nature, but because when he was just 13-years-old, he started his own program to work towards breaking down barriers between people with and without disabilities. BOLD, which stands for Bridging Our Learning Differences, is a program he created with 7 friends, all with disabilities or family members with disabilities, to bring “education, awareness, and respect for individuals with disabilities, and their challenges.” When discussing why he created BOLD, Nate disclosed that “Too many times, students with disabilities get labeled as “outsiders,” or “fragile,” and it’s my mission with BOLD to break that stereotype, and promote an inclusive environment for students with disabilities in our communities.” Today BOLD presents to schools and universities all around New England.

Nate disclosed to me some of the challenges people with disabilities face, many of which stem not from their actual disabilities, but from their peers assumptions of what they can and cannot do. Like many others, Nate has been the subject of discrimination due to his condition. “Growing up with a disability, I was teased because of the way I walk. All throughout elementary, and middle school I was the target of brutal verbal and sometimes physical bullying because of something over which I had no control. As a teenager it didn’t only affect the way I went about everyday life, it also affected the confidence I had in myself. I was called names such as “Cripple” and “Retard.” I remember being outcast in everyday activities such as playing kickball, or tag at recess, simply because I walked differently.” Similar to his experiences, Nate said the common misconception about people with disabilities is that they’re fragile or loners and outcasts in society. But in reality that’s extremely inaccurate. They are all around us, breaking barriers, living normal lives, and not letting their disabilities define them.

Often people with disabilities are talked down to or belittled by others. Nate said “by belittling individuals who, for example, walk differently than you, you’re playing into a discriminatory stereotype that seems to exist about people with disabilities in our society.” This unfortunate circumstance comes directly from the societal need to label and give hierarchy to people in it. Yet, we are all humans at the core, when it comes down to it.

Discussing disability can often feel awkward for people, and can be viewed as a touchy subject, but it doesn’t have to be! Nate says that the best way to support friends and family with disabilities is not be afraid to ask questions. It’s okay to be curious, but it’s important to embrace differences, not labels and discrimination against it. However like everything, there are important things to remember that are off limits such as how your words impact those around you. Using the R-word is the biggest no-no in discussing disability. It is hurtful and vindictive, so cut it out of your vocabulary now. Language affects attitudes and attitudes affect actions.

All in all, it’s important to be kind to others and open to differences. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and be open to those around you. Otherwise you’ll never know what your friends and family truly can do and what their challenges are. Nate stresses this by saying “Asking questions, and engaging in intellectual conversations about disabilities is how we’re going to move towards a more inclusive society for all.”