8 NYC Black-Owned Restaurants That You Can Support

I was scrolling through Instagram the other day and came across a particularly striking comment. On a post promoting black-owned restaurant, a person commented: "Do not promote restaurants based on race. That is racist. I only judge food based on taste, why does race matter?" He continued to defend himself as myriads accounts explained to him why the post was supporting #BLM and the good nature of the post. I have been to a couple of the restaurants in the list, and I can attest to you that the food is worth every penny of your wallet. Besides, why not add race to the equation and help a community that has faced centuries of oppression to gain foothold and help them succeed? Regardless, you will LOVE the food in the list.

Cheeky Sandwiches

Yelp

My favorite LES sandwich store. Get their chicken sandwich— fried chicken sandwiched in a buttery biscuit with gravy and red cabbage coleslaw. Their fried half n' half shrimp and oysters are pretty great too.

Gooey On The Inside Cookies

Instagram

Take a walk downstairs to a bakery located in a basement and when you open the door, you will get a BIG whiff of the most amazing, buttery cookie-goodness aroma ever. Melty, gooey madness.

Mikey Likes It Ice Cream

Instagram

We definitely need some ice cream during the summer. Get the Pink Floyd flavor — double strawberry ice cream with cheesecake chunks. So good.

Sol Sips

Instagram

Amazing vegan breakfast food, coffee, and drinks with a homey atmosphere within. Best to order ahead of time, as there are not many employees in the back operating. Still delicious and healthy.

Red Rooster

Instagram

I KNOW you are craving for fried chicken. Red Rooster does it pretty darn well. Takeaway message: GET THIS.

Scarr's

Instagram

Who isn't down for pizza?? I want a slice NOW.

Massawa

Instagram

If you have never tried Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine, now is your chance. Authentic, delicious dishes with a beautiful plating and vibrant colors. It will make you love vegetables all over again, or for the first time.

Spudz

Instagram

Fries? Poutine that comes with an assortment of toppings such as fried shrimp, cheese sauce, chicken tenders, and guacamole—what more could you ask for? Count me in.

From Your Site Articles