Why Black Mirror Is A Must Watch Series

Why Black Mirror Is A Must Watch Series

33
Why Black Mirror Is A Must Watch Series
Tumblr

If you like being chilled to your core, then Black Mirror is the TV show for you.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the series, it is kind of like a modern-day Twilight Zone. None of the episodes of the three seasons so far are in any way connected in terms of plot, but they all share a common theme: how technology affects society.

Most of the episodes take place in a kind of dystopic society, but the more disturbing ones take place in societies that are very much like ours today, simply a few years in the future. For instance, one episode takes place in a society where the bee population has died out, and synthetic bees have been manufactured to replace them. Another is set in a time when people can be implanted with microchips that record their memories.

In other words, it is some pretty mind-blowing stuff, and mostly disturbing because so much of it seems so plausible.

As you can imagine, the show comments mostly on social media, iPhones, government surveillance, etc. But it also touches on military issues, ethics of incarceration, and human nature.

Although the situations are dire, and perhaps exaggerated, in this series, I think it is worth watching not just for its entertainment value. The societal implications of new technology have always been a concern, and not just in our day and age. I read once that when books first became more widely distributed, there were many who criticized them, and thought they could have negative consequences on society.

I think that Black Mirror demonstrates the extreme consequences technology could have in the wrong hands, and in the wrong circumstances. Despite the slightly hyperbolic nature of the show, it demonstrates that with new waves of technology must come a new wave of humans who know how to use it to the right extent and in the right context.

So, the next time you are looking for a new show to watch on Netflix, check out Black Mirror. The only warning I would give is not to watch at night…