Black Lives Matter And White Privilege: A Discussion On What Matters

Stand up in unity-- faith without action is dead.

35
Shelby DuPont

A lot has been on my mind lately in regards to race. From Jesse William’s BET Humanitarian Award speech to Tomi Lahren’s response to the shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile (may they rest in peace) to hashtag wars between #BlackLivesMatter and #AllLivesMatter. Is this a race of races? All lives do matter, and that can’t be opposed by anyone. Yet, why do some feel the need to oppose the stirring proclamation that black lives matter? Is that not true? Does that make people uncomfortable?

I felt very comfortable driving down Summit Avenue in Saint Paul, Minn. where large mansions with manicured gardens linethe street. The people that reside there seem very quiet, with curtains covering most of their many windows and one-of-a-kind doors closed to hide the wealthy, private life they live behind them; they also seem very comfortable. As I parked my car and walked the sidewalk in front of these houses, to others I may have unquestionably seemed to belong there. I mean, I looked the part, right? Fair skin, light eyes, dark-blonde hair and new clothes apparently make me less "threatening" than others who don’t look the same.

On Summit, during a summer weekday, you probably wouldn’t expect to find a loud and crowded protest, especially since the people that live in the neighborhood are so comfortable in their silence. After wrongful and unlawful deadly force was taken on Philando Castille on Wednesday, July 6, people sought out justice by protesting in front of the governor's mansion. Hundreds of people were there to say that black lives matter, voice their concerns with our police state and to remind the most powerful politician in our state that we the people should have sovereignty over the government. We the people feel that our justice system is corrupt because we are unable to find the just in decisions made by those who are designated to protect and serve. We cry out in the name of equality, not to beg for special treatment. If all were treated with fairness, we wouldn’t have to be there to demand it.

As we speak out to make our voices heard by the legal and justice systems of our government, we cannot and do not fail to mention what we can do to strengthen our community on the other side of the law, as public community of citizens. As a member of our community, we must believe in unity, or we are left to fall apart. Ways to come together involve teaching others what we have been enlightened through, using conscious consumerism as a tool against corporate power and getting out the vote for politicians that support issues that matter to us. We must also remind ourselves that if we aren’t willing to fight for and act upon what we believe in, then we might as well not believe in anything.

In this move for unity, some may feel excluded because they misunderstood what the revolution on justice stands for. For those of you that feel excluded or that Black Lives Matter is a movement targeted against you, then I’m sorry that you have been misinformed. Let me clear up a few things for all of us: please know that when we shout “black lives matter!” we’re truly saying that all lives matter, regardless of identity. These sentiments don’t contradict themselves. Everybody is welcome in Black Lives Matter because the movement truly stands for everybody.

The people who still don’t understand this, a majority of which look like me, say, “Why do they have to play the victim? White people don’t play the victim, and that’s what makes them successful.” In the play of life, there’s an array of roles, but nobody can voluntarily be cast to act the “role” of victim. White people don’t play the “role” of victim; there is nothing in our privilege that could ever let us be victim to popular society. As a member of the white community, I want to ask my fellow members: What matters to you? What is it that you believe in? What steps do you take to fight for your values?

If you believe in equality and justice, then what are you doing to act in reach of it? If you call yourself a “white ally,” then what are you doing to get off the sidelines of complacency from which you watch your fellow people be brutalized? If your soul is hungry for a better world, then what seeds are you planting to fill it full with satisfaction? You and I, white people, have the privilege to walk home safely after a protest like the one held at the governor’s residence, without fear of anyone suspecting us to be unsafe based off our appearance. We can march alongside our community composed of people from all backgrounds, we can tell others we care about this movement for their liberation, and we can post all we want about it over social media-- and then, we can return in comfort back to our quiet neighborhoods, like Summit Avenue, thanks to the special treatments we receive from society.

As a white person, I've had the privilege to have been pulled over for not having one, but both, tail lights out and was not abruptly shot as I reached for my I.D. in my back pocket. As a white person, I have the privilege to be over-represented in the media and in the government. As a white person, I don’t have to shout that white lives matter because they already seem to matter to society more than others. As a white person, I don’t have to fight for fundamental human rights because people who look like me already fought 200 years ago to make sure that “clean water was only served to the fairer skinned.” As a white person, I’ve been able to achieve academically because the education system favors those with my background. As a white person, I can live my days with societal support and lack of fear. Yet, I am not proud of my white privilege.

Conscious awareness of white privilege does not mean to make anyone feel guilty for what they have; the only guilt anyone should feel is when they don’t use their privilege for the greater good of others. What matters, my fellow people, is that we use the boundaries of socioeconomics against the system that’s imposing them. Educate yourself and those around you, spend your money where it goes to those who deserve it, vote for the local politicians whose platform embraces everybody’s well-being. If you care about your friends, family and neighbors, then you should do what you can to make a difference. For those of you that will choose to stay in your privileged comfort: How many lives need to be lost until the injustice makes you uncomfortable? Stand up in unity-- faith without action is dead.