Black Girl's Magic with Noname's Debut Telefone

After 3 years, it finally arrives. Hint hint, Frank Ocean!

41
Facebook

Became recognized on a larger scale from the song, "Lost" on Chance The Rapper's second mixtape, Acid Rap, Noname finally released her debut mixtape, Telefone.

It's been three years since she mentioned this mixtape, and I know I wasn't the only one who was afraid that she was going to pull a Frank Ocean (MAJOR side-eye). But this lovely Chicagoan blessed us with a nice transition on to the fall with Telefone, originally named Noname Gyspy, she dropped the 'gyspy' due to learning about the negative connotations and unknowingly appropriating the culture.

Noname, her government name Fatimah Warner, is from the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago. The only way I can attempt to describe her music is as "black girl magic." Her high interest in poetry made her flow insanely smooth ... smooth like buttah. (A Tribe Called Quest reference).

A lot of her music is about personal experiences that most black girls go through, so it's very easy to relate to and she's not afraid to speak about how she feels regarding the state of Chicago; she's not happy. Also, her guest verses tend to have religious undertones. Don't let her sweet voice fool you, though, she's 'bout it. "Don't grow up too soon. Don't blow the candles out. Don't let them cops get you."

Even with the harsh realities of being a black woman in America is weaved in and out her verses, the combination of her voice, her storytelling and beat selection is that perfect childhood summer day when you go see the "ding-ding man" and get that Powerpuff Girls ice cream with Bubbles' eyes as bubble gum. I brought it back huh?

Now, that's a throwback for you!

A mixtape with 10 tracks but only a little above 30 minutes, it's very symbolic of nostalgia to me, intense enough to keep you in a trance and rethink flashbacks, but as intense as that feeling is how quickly that feeling goes away. So now, there is a constant cycle of reliving to catch that initial feeling again.

One of the tracks that highlights that feeling to a T that it's terrifying, is "Diddy Bop".

"Run, run, run, mama say come home before the streetlights do
Ice cream on my front porch in my new FUBU and my A1’s too
Watching my happy block my whole neighborhood hit the diddy bop."

While tackling the golden times of being a 90's kid, Noname also tackles something very difficult. Track 9. the second before last, "Bye Bye Baby," she interestingly gives us a screenplay of confronting and healing from an abortion. Based on how personal the track is, it is assumed that she is letting us in on a personal experience. Even with the pain in the record, there is something strangely uplifting.

Noname is an ode to Black girl magic, for the black girls whose voices aren't heard. Whose voices aren't loud to be heard. Who aren't pretty enough to be noticed or get a shot at the spotlight. Who have a lot to say but just don't know how.

To sum of Telefone as a whole, it's pink moisture and let's jam gel.

Telefone is that dark black gel that everyone has but no one knows the name of.

Telefone is the little barrettes in your hair and "ball-balls" from grade school.

Telefone is having to sit on the floor in between your moms legs while she greases up your scalp with Blue Magic grease or Bronner Bros Super Gro (Ya'll know the blue/green container! And the coconut!).

Telefone is a blast of a Black girls past, while on the path of the unexpected future.

I will continue to listen to Telefone while sipping lemonade and watching reruns of Moesha and 90's Nickelodeon while anticipating Issa Rae's Insecure. Protecting my Black Girl Magic.