Company Created Biodegradable Utensils From Avocado Pits

One of the latest trends that has reduced plastic usage is the invention of paper straws. There are a lot of other anti-plastic steps that have been taken, such less one-use plastics. This is a type of plastic that you are able to use once; such as a Ziplock bag or a red Solo cup. Furthermore, other companies have taken steps to become more eco-friendly. There is a new company, Biofase, that creates biodegradable utensils out of avocado pits. They have another product called avocado seed straws, both of which are 70% biomass content.

The company Biofase is based in Mexico, and all the avocados are sourced locally. The utensils and straws can biodegrade on land or in the dump. In order to create the utensils, Biofase has a competitive technology that is both time-efficient and beneficial for the environment. They break down the organic materials through environmental processes that involve: temperature, humidity, and microbial activity. This is processed through a biopolymer machine, which is called the 'avoplast.' The avocado seeds are considered the leftover part of the fruit, so most guacamole and oil manufacturers would throw them away. On a monthly average, they transform 130 tons of avocado seeds into biodegradable utensils.

The straws and utensils can be used in either hot or cold temperatures, and they have a shelf life of about one year. Biofase's main product, the avocado cutlery and straws, are biodegradable within 240 days. They also have a product which can be put directly into the compost. These compostable silverware are a bit more expensive but worth splurging if you are someone who regularly uses a compost. Overall, the company has reduced its carbon footprint significantly, and cities in Mexico are looking to ban one-use plastics. Along with being popular in Mexico, Biofase is also seen in 11 Latin American countries. They are looking to create a greener world, starting with the pit of an avocado