Bingeworthy Review: Stranger Things

Bingeworthy Review: Stranger Things

I dont Know Who the Duffer Brothers are, but Bravo

23
Bingeworthy Review: Stranger Things

It’s getting closer to October, and you know what that means. It’s time to get spooky! And while Netflix churns out a bunch of C rated horror movies, there’s one gem of a show that needs to have your full attention. I’m talking of course of Stranger Things. You’ve probably seen it on your suggested titles list for some time now, or perhaps you’ve heard a lot of people saying how great it is. Well I can tell you now, its worth the watch. Although, maybe I should have come to that conclusion at the end of the article. I mean, why would you keep reading it if you already got the review? Well I can talk a lot more about it, so… yeah. Let’s review: Stranger Things

There’s something spooky happening in Hawkins, Indiana, circa 1970-something. People are going missing, a woman claims she can talk to her dead son, a group of middle-school boys encounter a mysterious girl, and the government is lurking in the back with something to hide. ooh gives me chills just thinking about it. I’m trying to describe more of it but I don’t want to give out too much. But basically, it’s pretty much “Super 8” the television show. I mean, I said that as a joke originally, but it really is similar, in terms of both story, and undertones.

One of the big things of the show is its use of storytelling. One major event happens and it sets a chain of events for five or six story lines with different characters. The characters are all diverse in their personality, and are grounded in those personalities, making them relatable. Each story is griping with suspense and mystery, which unravels and pulls you in as the viewer. As a whole the series has the intensity of some of the best scenes of Breaking Bad. And I really don’t like to make that comparison a lot, but in this situation it’s a fairly accurate statement.

The plot of Stranger things is set at a decent pace. Each scene feels fluid and connects to the next scene well, while adding something to the story. However, the scenes can feel a bit slow, especially when they follow emotionally jarring or plot conducive scenes. So you might feel inclined not to care so much for a scene that feels dull or out of place. But every scene has something to add to the episode.

Acting for the show is pretty much on point. Granted, you have a pretty decent performance from Winona Rider, but the real magic comes from the lesser known actors. David Harbour plays the town sheriff, and he is the man. He’s an alcoholic delusional badass. His story through the show was one of my personal favorites, but I feel like his backstory was underdeveloped and forced. The child actors are also fantastic… for child actors. Finn Wolfhard is an excellent child actor, but this isn’t even the first thing ive seen him in. he was in the music video, “Guilt Trip” by my favorite band; Pup. I actually heard about this show from Pup’s twitter page, promoting Finn Wolfhard’s role in Stanger things. Give that music video a watch actually. It’s story driven rather than lyrically inspired, and its real cool.

Getting back to Stranger Things, overall the show is a great thriller, and suspenseful drama. A perfect show to watch in the upcoming months when everyone celebrates the general spookiness of October. I for one am excited to watch it again when the there’s an ominous feeling in the cold air.

Score: 4.5/5