7 Things That Become Normal While Binge-Watching "Grey's Anatomy"

3 people trapped in a roller coaster car casually being wheeled into the pit? Okay.

219
rawpixel

After a year of binge-watching “Grey’s Anatomy,” I caught up for season 14. The finale made me shed some happy tears, for a change. Not to spoil anything, but I'm glad characters are leaving for happy reasons this season. Shonda Rhimes is a genius and an artist when it comes to screenwriting. She is actually one of the writers who continues to inspire me to pursue my dream of screenwriting.

Say what you will about too much TV. I’m going to watch more than a few episodes in a row anyways. We all have. Here are some things that just stop fazing you after binge-watching “Grey’s Anatomy.”

1. Unbelievable medical problems.

There was a moment a few months into my Grey’s addiction that I found myself thinking, “OMG, another baby born with their organs on the outside?” Fans of the show will never forget some of the bizarre cases like “Tree Man,” the woman with the toxic blood, the unexploded missile or Bonnie and Tom impaled on the metal pole.

2. Main character deaths.

I’ve learned not to get too attached to any character in a given show because they will most likely die, and Grey’s is no exception to this rule. While Meredith may be safe for at least a bit longer, being the title character, anyone else is up for a tragic and heartbreaking end. I’ll try not to spoil too much but catch me sobbing about getting a head CT any day.

3. Trauma and drama tragedies.

Speaking of character deaths, Shonda always sprinkles in a good amount of emotional trauma. While most of these tragedies do end in something medical, it starts out as a drama, like a ferry accident, plane crash, or shooting.

4. Blood and surgeries.

The writer team at Grey’s uses real, professional doctors as advisors for the cases and surgeries on the show. While some of the traumas may not be 100% accurate, they all look realistic. I was squeamish at first, but now the surgery scenes don’t faze me as much.

5. Character redemption arcs.

The plotlines are so character-driven that you can start out hating a character, and then love them a couple seasons—or even episodes—later. For example, I could not stand Alex Karev at the beginning of the show. But much like Meredith, I grew to like him more and more and now if anything were to ever happen to him, it would be hard to handle. I just want him to be happy.

6. New faces.

Speaking of characters…there are so many of them! The show has been on the air for about 13 years and the actors, of course, come and go for many reasons. You get used to new interns becoming main characters or at least pretty dominant side characters. Jo Wilson and Maggie Pierce are prime examples of newer main characters who fit right into what’s left of the old cast.

7. “It’s a beautiful day to save lives.”

The words of Derek Shepherd may no longer be said every episode, but they still ring true in each season of Grey’s. Shonda and the actors do a wonderful job of writing and portraying the lives of these doctors and exemplifying the importance of The Hippocratic Oath to do no harm.

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

While the show can be heartbreaking at times, I’m glad my friend suggested I watch “Grey’s Anatomy.” Looking forward to see what else Shonda will throw at us!