Is It About The Big Picture Or The Steps We Take?

Why are we all worked up about the big picture when that is only one part of it?

1095
Elite Track

Since the beginning of our school years we’ve been told to look at the big picture. But what if the idea of the big picture is too overwhelming to look at?

Recently, I’ve been dumbfounded by the amount of school work and other things that I’ve had to get done. What I’ve realized through all of this is that I am not alone. I have had conversations with my peers, with my professors, and with people who have recently entered the work force and the mentality seems to be same: Where will my actions lead me in the end?

We tend to get completely worked up when we think about the end result when really that is just one finishing step in a long line of others. It is important to keep that big picture in your mind but at some point, it is more important to take a step back and see where to put your next step rather than trying to take three steps at a time. We all want to make it to the finish line, but the process of getting there is the most important.

If we think about our toughest days, we think about who helped us or how we helped ourselves. In that moment though, we do not think about that step. And what is that step you ask? The one of understanding how it is that we can help ourselves. With no clear direction in mind, it is easy to lose sight of that bigger picture but that does not always have to matter as long as our step is the one that fits that path we want to see.

Am I telling you that by not having a constant visual of the image you will succeed? No.

Am I telling you that by allowing yourself to understand the big picture you will succeed? No.

Well then, what am I telling you?

I am telling you to not overthink about where you are going. Humans tend to have this innate instinct inside them that more times than not really works out for them in the end. Do I turn left or right? Do I take this big job offer? Do I marry him? Do I write this this paper? Those are all big picture questions that will not be completed unless we know where each step will take us.

So, focus on you and where each step will take you and you’ll find yourself in the path that leads you to your big picture. And if it doesn’t, it will most likely lead you to a different big picture and that will be OK because you got there by taking the steps that you chose to take.