Big Perks Of Growing Up In A Small Town

Big Perks Of Growing Up In A Small Town

Never forget where you came from

30
Big Perks Of Growing Up In A Small Town

For those of us who grew up in small towns, it's easy to relate to the fact that mostly everyone outside of the state has never heard of your town. I consider my hometown to be one of these places: Hopatcong, New Jersey. It's undeniable that at someone point in everyone's life who ever lived here or in any small town once said "I can't wait to get out of here." I've said this too, plenty of times. I couldn't help but think every day about how outside of here there is a whole world just waiting for me. However the older I got the more I realized how meaningful and special my little town really is.

Growing up in a small town was a significant experience I'll be eternally grateful for. You learn the true meaning of a community. My small town is where my roots are. It's where I became the person I am today, it's what shaped me, it's where I made cherished friendships and treasured memories. Below are some perks on growing up in small towns.

It made you who you are: From little boys and girls to grownups as the town changed, so did you. You grew with the community. When tragedy happened in the town, you felt it; when good things happened in the town you were a part of it. From heartbreaks to endless laugher, to nights you never wanted to turn into morning, they all happened in your hometown. All the people that crossed your passed on your journey of growing up and all the of events you've encountered shaped you. You wouldn't be who or what you are today if it wasn't for your hometown. All the lessons learned and mistakes you've made were meant to happen. It brought you to where you are and made you who you are; without mistakes you can't learn. Your hometown made you stronger and wiser.

Small town charm: After being away for a while, nothing warms my heart like home. Every small town has their own appeal. For mine it's the lake. I live in the town with the biggest lake in New Jersey. For me, the water symbolizes home. Whenever I go into any small town I always find something to be in awe of whether it's the scenery or little shops and cafes. Nothing beats the cozy comfort of being in a small town, especially your own.

High school sports: I think a lot of us can agree that the atmospheres of high school sporting events are the most intense and exciting things a small town possesses. Big games are what brought my school together; whether you were an athlete, a fan, a band member you cheered on the Chiefs. No matter what drama was going on when it was game day, we became a family. On the field, or the court we supported our teams. Nothing brought our town together like sports. To this day everyone that graduated from my high school including me, still support our towns sport system. It is something you can always count on for bringing a town together.

You teach something you once participated in: I was a cheerleader for my town’s recreational league for nine years. I was in love with the sport and I owe it all to my instructors and coaches. They made it enjoyable and taught me all the skills I know. I couldn't wait until I could be an instructor myself and as soon as I got old enough, I did exactly that. I cherished the fact that I could give back to my town by volunteering. In most small towns whatever you participated in growing up, it's easy to give back by teaching it. It's an immense feeling to teach what you were taught. Pay it forward.

Forever friends: In small towns it's very common to go to high school with the same people you went to kindergarten with. These people have been a huge influence in your life and some of these people might forever be in your life. The friendships you make in your small town will affect you in so many ways you didn't know existed. These friends become your family. Every friend or person who crossed your path came into your life for a reason. Even if you’re not friends with them anymore, they still one way or another shaped you. If you don't realize how much these people affected you, you'll realize it as you sit at your high school graduation. As your looking around at all the faces you've grown up with for years in a cap and gown. In that moment you'll see how you are you because of them. You will reflect on all the memories you've made with them. You will reflect on the brief encounters you've made with people you were never that close to, but wish you could have been. For me, there is some friends I'm longing to have back in my life, there's other friends that I didn't mind losing, in fact I'm relieved I've lost them. There are other friends that I still have with me to this day who are continuing to better my life. No matter what, the small town friends you've lost, the current friends and the friends that you know you will be with forever, all helped construct you into the person you are now; thank them.

Unforgettable memories: Before my graduation day, my school had us visit every school in our district and walk through them in our caps and gowns. As I took that walk down memory lane next to my peers, it hit me. It hit me how important they all were and how much I would miss them. I got to reflect on all the memories I've made at each school from kindergarten to my senior year. Every single event, person, teacher, coach, and neighbor, is why I am who I am right now. I realized that there is a reason I grew up in the small town I did, because without it I wouldn't be me. From heartaches to some of the best moments of my life they happened in my small town. After I went through every school and got back to the high school, I looked at the front doors I walked through every day for the past four years. My body was filled with a rush of memories, ranging from my first party to my first football game. The memories I made as a child with my neighbors and family. The nights I sat up talking with my friends of life beyond this town and beyond high school, it seemed so far away then. Every memory that happened here, I am thankful for.

You will wander all over the world. You will meet new people and experience great things. Your life will move on beyond your small town. Wherever you go and whoever you become, don’t ever forget where you came from.