Bid Day 2014 at UW Madison

Bid Day 2014 at UW Madison

It All Began on Langdon Street

127
Bid Day 2014 at UW Madison

Whether you hate it or love it, Greek Life is a such a fun aspect of college. Maybe it's the ridiculous frat parties that take place every weekend, or the classic sorority girl pose you see in every picture. Regardless, we all love it deep down.

This past Sunday at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, sorority bid day took place. For anyone who doesn't know what this means, here's the low down.

First, imagine almost nine hundred girls, all freshman and sophomores, piled into one huge auditorium-designed room with music blasting and people dancing everywhere you turn. This is what the beginning of bid day looks like. 

All the girls who received bids this year went to Memorial Union to join up with the other girls who got bids from the same house. After that, they went to the terrace for some classic new-member picture-taking.

One of the best parts about this year's bid day was that it took place during the day, unlike last year. Being on the lake under clear blue skies with a bunch of your soon-to-be best friends is a pretty good way to start the year.

Following that part of the day, the new-members walked with the rest of their chapter down Langdon to greet the rest of their new sorority at their very own house. Picture hundreds of girls, each dressed according to theme, running down Langdon street in packs of sixty. Talk about CRAZY. It's common to see just about every fraternity member sitting outside their house, spectating the entire fiasco.

Meanwhile, on the other side of bid day, the older girls awaited the new-members at their houses with decorations, music, and genuine excitement. These new-members behold the future for their sorority, so everyone was incredibly anxious to meet them. Sorority recruitment and bid day takes a lot of preparation and hard work from older members, so being able to finally meet their next generation was a huge deal.

The rest of bid day was history. Once all the girls arrived at their new "home", it was hugging, laughing, dancing, and smiling for hours. Yeah, it sounds cheesier than anything you've ever heard, but bid day continues to be one of the most fun days of the year for all of the Greek community. It really proves just how close knit greek life at UW Madison is, and how much everyone values it. 

If you weren't able to experience bid day even as an outside viewer, I recommend seeing it at least once in your life. Whether you think it's hilarious or the most awesome thing in the entire world, it's worth it. Nothing screams "college" more than this time of the year.