Here's What You Should Know About Betsy DeVos

President Trump's pick to lead the Department of Education makes some uneasy.

20
d.ibtimes.co.uk

I have been seeing Betsy DeVos trending on social media and news websites for a while. Before doing some research, I have only heard her name maybe a couple times. I decided to go through her website, watch the hearing and research other sources to find what you should know about DeVos. Personally having been a student through the public school system and now in college along with many other students in America, I am not happy. Draw your conclusions as you would like (as should always be respected), but here are a few points that I have found about Betsy DeVos:

1. DeVos is an "aggressive advocate for the expansion of charter schools and voucher programs that use taxpayer money for private schools" (Politico.com), and yet she also has a stand that she will not cut out public education funding. According to nces.ed.gov, 50 million students were enrolled in a public primary/secondary school for 2013-2014 which was projected to increase and around 5.3 million were enrolled in private schools in a statistic that was displayed for the 2015 school year, that was projected to decrease. In my opinion, education all around is important, but if a solid majority of students are attending public schools, cutting out funding of public schools shouldn't even be a question. Those students need materials, classes, and opportunities to be able to succeed not only throughout K-12 education but upper education as well.

2. There was no ethics letter or background check for Betsy DeVos' hearing like demanded by Republicans in the past years.

3. She believes that it should be up to the state/locals to decide if guns should be allowed in schools even after the numerous school shootings that took place over the recent years.

4. The DeVos family has invested over 2 million dollars in the Republican party and has also used her wealth to advance charter schools over time.

5. Her views on campus sexual assault and discrimination is very vague. All Senator Bob Casey asked was if she was willing to "uphold that 2011 Title IX guidance as it relates to sexual assault on campus" (talkingpointsmemo.com). DeVos stated that it is too early for her to answer the yes or no question.

6. DeVos has never been apart of/managed/overseen a loan program or financial aid that assists students and their families who are in college. In relation to this inexperience, neither DeVos nor her children have ever taken out a student loan or received aid for college.

It is truly understandable that there are students fortunate enough to be able to go to college and not have to worry about debt. But what about those (which is a vast majority) of us who do have to take out loans or receive other aid? How will someone with no personal experience lead that portion of education in a way that could help those who want to have a higher education but can't afford it? While the thought of tuition free college sounds really nice, I personally do not believe that is realistic. I do think that college is a privilege however I also believe that anyone should be able to attend if they want to further their education and to even get a job now. DeVos has stated that "nothing in life is truly free."

7. The DeVos family has given money to organizations that are anti LGBT and push conversion therapy. There is so much that has changed over the years and I believe that it is too late and unrealistic to even attempt to go back. What will she do for those gay and transgender students?

While these are only a few takeaway points I had from the hearing, I am finding that being so familiar yet at the same time so unfamiliar with the education system and being the choice new Secretary of Education will post the question of how much can she do with little experience or understanding of the system. Will there still be funding to be able to have certain luxuries in schools to advance students learning? Will the private school system still continue to decrease in enrollment or will it begin to turn around? Will all students be offered the same opportunities?

Any arguments about these points or even additional comments can easily be posted respectfully. If you want things to change, get involved. Make your voice heard.

Here is a link to the entire hearing and the "rapid fire" question portion of the hearing.