4 Ways To Effectively Manage A Busy Schedule

With classes starting back up again, take some time to realize that you're going to be busy again and think about how you're going to handle it.

30

It's time for classes to start, and that means that your schedule is about to get about 1000% busier. Whether this is your first semester or sixth semester, here are some of the ways that you can work towards not going crazy this semester.

1. Get a planner and use it.

Set realistic goals and use your planner daily and you'll find success.

Estée Janssens

Everyone is guilty of the fact of buying a really nice $20 planner from Target and then never actually using it during the semester. Planners are the greatest ways to keep yourself organized because you can just write down everything that you need to do for the week and then slowly cross off your assignments as you complete them. You can also write down non-class related things such as meeting with friends or when you work during the week. That way, one glimpse at your planner will tell you everything that you need to know about your week and it makes it much easier to be organized when you know exactly what you need to be doing.

2. Set certain days/times to do homework.

Don't ignore assignments. Set aside time to do them so you know exactly when they need to be done.

Marvin Meyer

Homework can be overwhelming when not handled properly. Once you get your syllabuses and have finished your first week, you should be able to determine how much time you need to dedicate each week to your classes. You know what professors say: You should spend at least three hours each week doing homework, taking notes, or doing revision outside of the classroom. However, for some classes, this number could be lower, and for others, it could be higher. Once you have determined exactly how much time you need to spend outside of the classroom for each class, try to set a homework schedule. Spend 30 minutes to an hour each day on a class depending on how much time you need to spend on assignments. If you spend about 30 minutes about six days a week, that would be three hours, so if you have four classes you may spend up to two hours a day doing homework - but that grade is going to be worth it.

3. Organize a weekly date with your friends.

Friends are important to decompress and take time away from school.

Priscilla Du Preez

If you're like me, you've spent a lot of this summer spending time with friends and are not ready for that to be over once fall semester starts. Something that I have found has worked for my circle of friends is finding a day that works for everyone and organizing a weekly date with everyone. Since it happens every week, not everyone has to come every single week because obviously, some weeks are going to be crazy busy. But, for the most part, everyone should be able to make it at least three times a month. This allows you guys to spend time catching up on the week and relaxing; not worrying about homework or anything else. It also gives you something to look forward to if you're having an especially stressful week. Friends are a great way to decompress and will take your mind off off anything that has been bugging you during the week - or you can ask them for help on homework if you want.

4. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Don't try to do too much during the semester and figure out what is most important for you to do.

rawpixel

Some people love being busy and some people don't. Know your limits. Don't try to take five classes, work 30 hours a week, take on a sport, need to spend three hours a day doing homework, and want a social life. I mean you can do that, but you're going to get like two hours of sleep a night. If you think one of your classes is going to be too much, drop it. Ask for less hours at work. Only go to practice two nights a week instead of three or four. Set your expectations for the semester early on so you know exactly what to expect from yourself, and don't stress yourself out if you need to change anything because you realized you can't manage everything.

Keeping yourself busy is important but so is mental health. As long as you keep yourself healthy and try to follow some sort of routine during this semester, you'll be able to succeed.