The 10 Best Video Games of 2016

The 10 Best Video Games of 2016

A year in review of my favorite games

16
The 10 Best Video Games of 2016
playstationlifestyle.net

2016 was a really good year for video games, in my opinion. We got some good shooters and some great adventure type ones. I have a PS4, and I know that there were some Xbox exclusive games that I missed out on, but I'm perfectly happy with what came out. Here's my review of my favorite video games that came out this year. These are the games that I'll cherish forever and never give back to Gamestop for reward points. (These aren't in order).

1. Uncharted 4: A Theif's End

Before I bought this one, I got the Uncharted Collection so I could learn about the story and boy, did I fall in love. It's heartwarming, charming...who doesn't love Nathan Drake? The multiplayer is much better than the third games one, and the emotes are hilarious! Sully is by far one of my favorite characters in a video game. A Thief's End isn't my favorite from the series, but it is very visually pleasing and the story is still extremely good. Learning about Nathan's brother was a really good touch to the story. I do hope they make another one; playing as Nathan's kid made me believe they would continue it from her perspective, as she might become and adventurer like her parents. If they don't make another game, I still think they ended it very well. This series is one that I'd definitely go back and play again.

2. Titanfall 2

The first Titanfall was not too great. You basically get dropped in a multiplayer game and it says that there's a "story" when in reality, there isn't. Titanfall 2, on the other hand, actually has a story. It's a great story, and the multiplayer is better than the first. I love the Ronan titan; that sword is perfect. The picture above is probably the saddest part of the game (and the most hilarious). The robot had a smiley face on his screen at first because he knew he was doing a good job, and then you steal it from him and his screen shows that sad face. I cracked up. The dialog throughout the game is pretty humorous, too; BT's witty remarks were very well written and always made me laugh. The creators of the game definitely made up for their first attempt at the game.

3. Doom

I never played the original Doom games, but I've heard they were great. This one is so visually pleasing. It makes your heart race when rushing through hell and trying to jump away from all the demons. The end boss is one of the most annoying bosses ever. I had to put the game down for a bit. When video games have bosses like that, I consider them to be really great games. I like a challenge, and Doom definitely gave that to me. The multiplayer is pretty fun, too, but it was a bit hard for me to get the hang of. I like the idea of choosing which demon to be when the time came to use the ultimate ability. In a way, it reminds me of Left for Dead 2's multiplayer; there was a team of zombies and a team of players who went up against each other. Of course, it's a completely different game than L4D, but I still really enjoyed it all together.

4. Dark Souls III

Dark Souls III is my worst enemy. I can't tell you how angry I got at this game. If you've seen those memes about this game where the controller is stuck in the television because someone threw it...that's exactly how this game makes you feel. It's such a great game, though. It's definitely in the top 3 of favorite games from this year. The gif above is probably the boss that made me the most angry. I never played the other Dark Soul games, but this one made me fall in love with it. I definitely put this game down a lot because of how frustrated I was, but this game is another one that I'd go back and play over.

5. Overwatch

Overwatch is by far, in my opinion, the best game that came out this year. I am so proud of what it's become! They give us free maps and characters; even little short videos on Youtube explaining each character. Sombra, a new character that came out not too long ago, is my new favorite. My main character is definitely Soldier 76, but Sombra is just too cute. I feel bad for the creators of Battleborn, though; they released the game just as Overwatch came out and it basically flopped. I have Battleborn as well, but Overwatch is definitely way better than the other. Over the summer there was the "Summer Olympics", for Halloween there was "Dr. Junkenstein", and now there's the "Winter Wonderland". Competitive mode makes my heart race, and I'm glad they finally fixed the ratings because before it was just frustrating. I love how they give players penalties for leaving the game early, because really guys, you shouldn't rage quit just because you're losing. It ruins the match for everyone else! There's a rumor going around that Terry Crews will be a new love to have his voice as one of them. I will continue to play this game as long as I live.

6. No Man's Sky

I know this game got a really bad reputation, but I really do enjoy it. I don't really play it as much anymore because it does get boring pretty fast, but I heard there was a big patch for it and it's a lot better than the day one game. I like the idea of naming plants and creatures. If you search long enough, you'll find someone else's galaxy and explore all the animals that they've named. There are some really weird creatures in this game and it only makes me laugh. You can even have them help you find minerals if you feed them. It's a "kick back and relax" type of game. I'll definitely pick it up again and see how the new patch is one of these days.

7. Bioshock: The Collection

Bioshock is one of my all-time favorite games. The story is riveting and sucks you in instantly. This year it was remastered, and it is just as great as it was before. I'm not a big fan of Bioshock: Infinite, but it looks superb remastered. The second one really pulled me into this series. This is the game that got me into 40's music. The soundtrack is so great. Everything about this game is fantastic. I'll never get bored of this game. If any of you are interested, there's even a book based off of it, and you learn the backstory of how Rapture came to be. It's called Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirley. Really good adaption to the series. One of these days, I want to get a tattoo of an Andrew Ryan quote, the one that the main character has in the first game on his wrists. If I had to rate this series, it'd get a 10/10 for sure.

8. Far Cry Primal

I didn't enjoy Far Cry 4 at all. Primal came out and I was pulled in. I love the fact that it's in 10,000 BCE and you're this man, Takkar, trying to pull all the tribes together to defeat the cannibal tribe. You can even tame wild animals to be your companion. My favorite one is the black saber tooth tiger. They're fast, sneaky, and also adorable. I think this game helped me get better at headshots, too; I'm really good at the bow and arrow, and it's helped me with my shooting in Overwatch. The one thing I would want to improve about the game is how many times you can upgrade each characters hut. You can only do it three times and I think it should go more than that. The shaman is definitely my favorite character, though. He helps you find your "spirit animal" and from then on you can use the owl to tag enemies for your other animal companion. This is also the one game that I can actually sneak attack; I'm really terrible at sneaking, but this game made it easy for me!

9. Rise of the Tomb Raider

I really like what they did with this one. I will say this, though; it seems a lot like Uncharted, which was a bit disappointing. Overall, though, it's a really fun game. I don't like the multiplayer, though. It's pretty bland. You have to survive in the freezing weather in the mountains (or wherever they are), and it's basically only to see how long you can last. The other Tomb Raider that came out had a much better multiplayer than this one, so I'll give the first one that. This one, though, is still fun and I definitely enjoy it.

10. The Last Guardian

I literally just bought this game and I am in love. Trico is such a cute companion; he is officially my best friend. I played Ico back when I had a PS2 and it really frustrated me. The puzzles in that game were so hard for me. The Last Guardian has the same feel as Ico, but the puzzles aren't as challenging. The bond that grows between the young boy and Trico grows throughout the game. You're his best friend; you released him from the chains in the cave you begin the game in, and he stays by your side throughout the game. I haven't finished it, but I am almost done. I know that I'll play this game over again. It's absolutely beautiful and I'm so happy that it finally came out; this game took 7 years! All the time that it took to perfect it was enough, I really think it is perfect. This game was a great way to end 2016.

It really was a great year for video games. The next game to look forward to would be Horizon Zero Dawn, which comes out in February. I bet 2017 will be a great year for video games, too. We've got the new Resident Evil coming out, which is also going to be in VR. One day I'll get one of those and scare myself silly! So here's to a great year of video games, and to many more.