5 Travel Destinations That Will Change Your Life Perspective

5 Travel Destinations That Will Change Your Perspective On Life

These places and experiences will open your eyes.

78
Personal Photo
Personal Photo

Growing up I was fortunate enough to travel across the country with my family. Looking back, these annual trips shaped my childhood and have instilled some of my strongest values. There have been some trips and places that have opened my eyes up and allowed me to take a different perspective on life! Below are some of my favorite travel destinations that I would recommend visiting!

Hawaii

The state of Hawaii is a large archipelago (a chain of Islands) and made up of eight individual islands. The largest island is Hawaii, nicknamed the Big Island, and that is where the majority of tourist attractions are present. There are erupting volcanoes, national parks, and endless amounts of acai bowls. Furthermore, Hawaiian culture is very different than the continental United States. They use phrases such as "Aloha" and "Mahalo," which are not typically present in the U.S. They also greet one another with genuine kindness and have a different level of respect for their people. Their diet, from what I experienced, focuses on foods such as pineapple, ham, fresh fish, and slushies. We even tasted this amazing purple bread, which I believe is derived from the Taro root. This was definitely one of my most memorable trips because we were submerged in native Hawaiian culture and got to experience their way of life.

Grand Canyon 

This may seem like an obvious one, but Grand Canyon is one of the most extraordinary sights in the United States. The vastness and the depth of this canyon will have you at a loss for words. It is truly humbling to see the different colors of this beautiful canyon because it shows the history and hundreds of years that have created this site. Because it is a national landmark, it's fascinating to see how many different groups of people visit. There are tourists from so many various parts of the world, and it's incredible that they all unite in one place to admire the Great Canyon. Although we didn't get the chance to do this, I saw some people on a tour riding donkeys down in the canyon and it looked amazing! I would definitely love to do this if I went back, along with the many other tourist opportunities that the Grand Canyon provides.

Colorado Backping Trip

Out of all the trips I have taken, backpacking in the mountains was the most influential. Being isolated in the woods for a week allowed me to open my eyes to what is truly important in life and what I want to focus my energy on. My journey was in the Summer 2016 and at first, I was hesitant to go, because you know, who wants to poop in the woods for a week? After some convincing from my friend group, we decided to sign up for the 12-day backpacking adventure in the western Colorado mountains. Sleeping under the stars every night is very humbling and allowed me to realize what my priorities in life, and what is truly necessary. It also cleared my mindset and gave me a fresh perspective when I returned to civilization. The organization I went with is called Keystone Science School and that's where I went to sleep away camp for 10 years. This camp is truly one of the best parts of my childhood and I HIGHLY recommend any child to attend. This program shaped me into the woman I am today and I am so thankful for that.

Alaskan Cruise

During the Summer of 2008, my parents and their adult friends planned an Alaskan cruise for about a week. My brother and I ended up joining their trip due to last minute plans, and it was one of the greatest experiences ever! Obviously, it was freezing, but the gorgeous and unique sights make up for the weather. By far the coolest thing we got to do was take a helicopter and walk on a glacier. At the time I was 8 so my parents were really concerned about my safety, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. My dad took this photo of the inside of the glacier crack and it's still framed in our dining room! This trip was so incredible that my family decided to go back another year with our extended family (grandparents, aunts, cousins). I was so fortunate to have a family trip in Alaska and to this day it is still one of our fondest family moments.

California Road Trip

Over the summer, my parents picked up my brother and I from camp and decided that we were going to take a road trip down the California coast. We started North, in the San Francisco area. We visited breathtaking sights such as the Redwood Trees in Sequoia National Park. There were some notable historical places like Alcatraz Island that allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of the city's history. We drove all down the coast and finished our trip in San Diego, Hollywood, and Santa Monica. Southern California is rich in pop culture and other fashion trends.