The Best Times to Take a Break From Social Media

7 different times when it is a better idea to put your phone down

102
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/21/636548335515269105-409334133_smart-phone.jpg

I love social media and sometimes I might love it a little too much. It is a great way to stay connected and even express yourself. I even plan to somehow incorporate social media into my job one day, but sometimes it is great to just take a break from all of it. We all know that it can get overwhelming with the constant updates of what is going on in the world around us, so I have listed times when it feels great to just get some space.

1. During study time

This might sound a little extreme, but whenever I am studying for something really important I like to just delete my social media apps off of my phone. This way I won't be tempted to just "take a break" and surf through Insta or Twitter. I can stay focused on what I am trying to accomplish and when I actually do need to take a break my brain won't completely shift from what I need to be focusing on to replying to whatever drama is going on on snapchat stories.

2. When you are feeling down

Everyone feels insecure at times and when you are already feeling down on yourself, it never helps to compare your lives to others. Social media allows for people to post times of when they're doing their best or at least make it appear this way and it is easy to think that other people have it so much better than you. Instead of getting caught up in this lie, just separate yourself from comparison all together. Take a break from scrolling through your feed and focus on yourself.

3. When you just need to live in the moment

College can get crazy and sometimes it feels overwhelming to have so much going on with school that sometimes it feels nice to disconnect from social media. It always helps me focus on what I feel is more important that being constantly connected. One time I even went camping because I knew that there would be no service and I could enjoy my weekend without the updates of what everyone else is doing.

4. When you are vacationing

This is a tough one. When you're are visiting a new place it seems like it is the best time to update your feed. I am guilty of this, I love posting cute beach pictures or fun pictures from when I am out exploring with my friends, but sometimes this takes away from the actual moment. I saw a quote one time that said "the best moments of my life don't make it to social media" and ever since I read this I have tried to remember it when I am out experiencing new things. Of course it is great to get a view pics to remember the moment, but try to not let taking pictures or updating everyone on your experience take away from the moment.

5. Concerts

We all know that it is annoying when people post the entire concert on their snap stories. Put your phone down and enjoy the music.

6. When you are going through a break up

I have found that when going through a break up people will sometimes use social media as a battle field. If you find yourself wanting to post something to get the attention of another person, stop. You should post because it is for yourself and you want to do it.

7. When you are partying

We hear about this all of the time it seems like, but it really is important. Not just because of how other people view you but it also reflects how you view yourself. All of us want to come across as professional when we are trying to get jobs, and if your employer can find pictures of you that you posted on social media of you taking shots this might give the wrong idea. So, instead of capturing the moment of when you probably don't actually look so hot, enjoy your night out without posting about it.