Why My Summer Job Is The Best

Why My Summer Job Is The Best

It's all because of the people.

112

Each summer, college and high school kids try and find summer jobs. Maybe for some extra money or to try and sate the boredom that sets in approximately two days after school ends.

For me, I've been lucky to have the same summer job for six summers now. And while many of my friends are waitressing or camp counselors, I'm lucky enough to have an interesting summer job. I've been fortunate to spend my summers at a mini-golf course.

Now, many people might think, how is working on a mini-golf course interesting? Incredibly, I would answer. There are so many different components that go into it that my day is never dull.

All I have to do is look around me, and I have an endless opportunity for people watching. Because I have worked there for so long, I have to come to know different people who walk by each day. I know if I'm working at two o'clock I'll see the woman who walks are two white girls each day. Or at five-thirty on the dot, the lifeguards walk past the back of the course at the end of their day.

Another thing is the people I get to meet on the course. I have my favorite customers who come back each year. They usually have new additions to their family, and it's nice to see that they continue the tradition. I get to meet people who go to my college, whether they're alumni or current students. It's nice to have a common connection like that.

My favorite is the people who travel halfway across the world to visit the Jersey Shore. They usually come from England or Ireland. This year I met people from Spain, and it's always interesting getting to talk to them for those few minutes before they start their game.

Over the years, I have seen some pretty interesting things happen on that course. People just like to do stupid things when they think others aren't looking. The customers on that course can be more interesting than any book I could ever read.

I got this job before I even started high school and it taught me how to become even more responsible. I was trusted to work there, to give out the correct change, and do whatever task was delegated to me that day. Whether it be watering the flowers or pulling weeds, it showed me how to truly work.

The family that I work for has been so kind to me over the years. They welcome me back each summer, and each Memorial Day it's like I picked right back up where I left the previous Labor Day. They are one of the main reasons why I continue to return each year.

I honestly love my summer job. It's the best one I could have ever hoped for. I get to be outside on the beach every day, meet new and interesting people, and always have a constant stream of entertainment. It beats any other summer job out there and I'm happy to have found it.