7 reasons cats are the best pet for college students

7 Reasons That Prove Cats Are The Best Pets To Have In College

Listen, you will never be alone ever again if you get a cat.

114

For all of my life, I've had dogs. There are actually still two dogs back home. However, with college life being difficult to dedicate that much time to an animal that needs you there consistently, it was best to get a cat. I never was a cat person until I got my Whiskers from the Hinsdale Humane Society.

1. They clean themselves

Not having to worry about having to clean these guys is amazing. Especially since most cats are indoors, there isn't a lot they can get into.

2. They don't require 24/7 attention

When you're a college student, you have an extremely busy schedule that is constantly in flux. Therefore, being able to leave your cat alone for a few hours is a huge plus as dogs require a lot of thinking of potty needs, food, play time, etc. NOT saying cats don't need attention, but they don't need as much as dogs.

3. They are comforting

Despite the stereotype, cats are still very much comforting animals. They come over and sit with you — overall changing the atmosphere of the environment you're in.

4. They provide distraction

You still get the distraction of being able to care for this living being that needs attention in order to live. It almost adds a routine to your day which can help reduce your anxiety.

5. They are silly

Cats are just as silly as every other animal. Mine chases his tail, meows at me when he wants food, suddenly becomes a wild man, and ultimately just a big goofball.

6. They are family

Cats are still part of the family! And honestly, a pet brings so much comfort and love to your life that the cost of owning a pet is worth it.

7. They won't make you feel alone

No, seriously you will never be alone ever again if you get a cat. They follow you everywhere into the bathroom, in your bedroom, to the kitchen, and to watch TV. Overall you've pretty much got a child that needs to be with you 24/7. If you don't, believe me, I took this photo after finishing my shower because he stayed on the mat right outside it anytime I go into the bathroom.

Overall, I would say when considering getting a pet for your college years and the years after there are some things that you must keep in mind. You have responsibilities to the pet as well as a mandatory schedule you must attend to. If you do not have the time for a dog there are other options to consider when it comes to pets.