The Best Music Of 2016

The Best Music Of 2016

2016 was the year of great music.

29
The Best Music Of 2016
Dr. Odd

2016 was a year that we will never forget. This year showed us that we have made progress as a society, but that we still have a lot of work left to do in the coming years. Artistically, this year brought us music from multiple different genres that was better than ever before, and these have touched people from all over, even those who are not always fans of a particular genre. Here are some of the best, and most popular, released albums from this year in no particular order:

1. Views, Drake

This highly anticipated album from Drake did not disappoint, except for the long wait that it took to finally be released. 'Hotline Bling', one of the first singles released, was an instant hit and the rest of the album followed suit. The 'Too Good' collaboration with Rihanna also plays a role in the characterization of this multiple award-winning album.

2. Lemonade, Beyoncé

There really aren't any words to describe the success of this album. The performance of 'Formation' at the Super Bowl literally shook up the entire world, and this album broke multiple records. It is music critics' favorite album of the year, and the video for 'Formation' has won Song of the Year. The Formation World Tour sold out in record time, and won Tour of the Year at the 2016 American Music Awards.

3. Coloring Book, Chance The Rapper

Chance The Rapper has made history in 2016, and is one of the most successful up-and-coming artists, though he has already established multiple times that he and his music are a force to be reckoned with. It is well known that he has achieved all of his success without signing to a record label. In addition to rap, he also joined a band, Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment, making uplifting Christian rock. He recently performed on Saturday Night Live, and is the first unsigned artist to do so.

4. WALLS, Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon never disappoints, and this album only further solidifies this fact. This is one of the albums where you can listen to it all the way through without having to skip a single song, because everything is just that great. The single 'Waste A Moment' is also topping the charts and is frequents radio stations throughout the US, and Kings of Leon remains one of the most successful and iconic bands of all time.

5. Joanne, Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga took a break from music in the past few years, but she came back better than ever. Joanne has a significantly different sound from her older music, but this only makes it better. This is proof that Gaga has immense talent and a powerhouse voice, and that she can perform on multiple different levels and cross genres. This is also an album that you can listen to without having to skip a single song, and you'll find yourself touched by every lyric and every song.

6. Dangerous Woman, Ariana Grande

It is no secret that Ariana Grande has powerhouse vocals, but her third album solidified her position in the music world. Finally, the songs on her album showcase her voice in the way that it was meant to be heard. The most popular tracks, 'Side to Side', 'Into You', and 'Dangerous Woman' are only snippets of the great songs on this album. If you're looking for songs that showcase Grande's soulful, powerful voice, then listen to 'Greedy' and 'Jason's Song (Gave It Away)' in particular.

7. Mind of Mine, ZAYN

The first album from Zayn Malik after his dramatic exit from One Direction showcased a different side of Zayn than fans were used to. With that being said, the album does a great job of articulating Zayn's unique personal style when it comes to his music. The album is undeniably good, with a hit single, 'Pillowtalk', that debuted at the US Billboard Hot 100. This makes him the first UK artist to debut at Number 1 with a first charted single, and the third UK artist to start at the top. He falls directly behind Elton John's 'Candle In The Wind' and Adele's 'Hello'.