The Best Life Lessoned I've Learned Is To 'Just Do It'

The only way you'll ever know the outcome is if you try.

65

Being stuck in between "where do I go from here" and "what's next" is something I have struggled with for a long time. For every decision, big or small I would weigh out all the outcomes, list the pros and cons and doubt myself. It became a very unhealthy habit. Struggling with overthinking did not seem to help my situation when I couldn't come to a decision.

What I have learned over the years is extremely cliche but by far the most important thing I have learned thus far, just do it.

When making decisions whether it's about what school to attend, what job to take or even what to eat for breakfast I started to see that if I just do what I truly want I will have a greater outcome. The decisions that I make so irrationally may not be the smartest at the time but I would rather be able to say I did it and learned from it than to regret not doing it and learning a new lesson.

"Just doing it" is something I live by daily.

For so long I have been consumed by what other people will think that it began to set me back. Realizing that the only person's opinion who truly matters is myself was one of the best things I could have ever done for myself. So I only allow myself to decide what I do when I do it and how I do it.

This may seem like such a silly idea to just go with your gut instinct but every single decision you make will undoubtedly change your life. When it comes to weighing out the pros and cons to your decision you need to remember that nobody's first decision is perfect. I recently saw an anonymous quote that outlined this perfectly.

"Your first podcast will be awful. Your first video will be awful. Your first article will be awful. Your first art will be awful. Your first photo will be awful. Your first game will be awful but you can't make your 50th without making your first."

No matter what you are deciding in your life, know that it might not be the best idea or the most amazing experience. You will learn from your mistakes, so why not just do it?

I started challenging myself every morning when I got out of bed. It started small and over time I learned that I don't need to be afraid of any outcomes from my decisions. What I told myself is to start with a mile, start with a paragraph, start with an idea and start planning for the trip early. The only way you can do anything is if you start.