Freshmen, Ask Any Of These 13 Questions If You REALLY Want To Get To Know People In College

In a period of icebreakers and intros, you gotta dig deeper.

43

During freshman year, especially early in the school year, it seems that all interactions are superficial. You can spend everyday with somebody for days, weeks, even months and still not feel like you REALLY know them. It can be tough to feel like you are finally getting close to the intimate connections you had with friends back home. This has a lot to do with the things we ask each other, which during this time is a lot of "Where are you from?" or "What's your major?" or "Why did you write your name on the bathroom mirror in lipstick?" So... allow me to introduce you to 13 questions you need to ask the people you meet in order to really get to know them. You may think these are stupid, but you have to admit, they're better than "What building are you living in?"

1. What would you do with your free time if you were living alone in New York City?

As most people know, there is kinda a lot of stuff to do in the city, so it's kinda hard to choose what you want to do, this will really give you insight into their interest, and that's pretty interesting!

2. What country do you wish you were born in?

Do they know what other countries are like? Are they woke to different things happening around the world right now and how being born in that country would affect them? Are they exotic? Do they travel? These are all questions that can be answered through this one question.

3. If you were a flavor, what flavor would you be?

This is not to be confused with what is your favorite flavor, almost nobody would actually be their favorite flavor if they were a flavor.

4. What's your favorite color mood lighting and why?

This isn't the same as favorite color. Mood lighting is special. Knowing what color mood lighting somebody prefers can really help you know if you can vibe with them late at night or not.

5. LOL, what are the first five digits of your Social Security Number backwards?

This assures you they are at least responsible enough to know their SSN. (Works great with #9 and #13)

6. How do you feel about where your birthday falls on the calendar?

Look, you can find their birthday on Snap or Facebook easily, but how do THEY feel about the date of their birth? This could also transition into a convo about Astrology and you can find out what Villanova basketball player they would be! (https://www.theodysseyonline.com/signs-as-villanova-players)

7. Grapes?

They better say purple... they HAVE to say purple.

8. What is your favorite season in Australia?

This not only allows you to know what kind of weather they like, but also if they know how the seasons in the Southern Hemisphere are the opposite of the North. It's a two for one, basically.

9. What are the last four numbers of your Social Security Number in a different language? 

This is just a more fun way of asking what language they took in high school, and how much they actually learned. (Works fantastically with #5 and #13)

10. What's my name?

Yeah, see how invested they REALLY are in the early stages of this relationship. If you really wanna test them, ask them for your last name.

11. Do you floss everyday?

This one is good, because if they say yes, you know they are a liar.

12. What would you do if you had a button that you could press at any time, but only once, and it would turn you invincible?

Idk, this one is just fun. Maybe they say jump off a cliff/plane. Maybe they say hard drugs. Either way, you will learn something important.

13. What is your mother's maiden name?

Do you want to know about their ancestry but don't want to sound too nosey? This is probably the best question to ask. (Works great with #5 and #9)