My Roommate’s Boyfriend Is Practically My Second Roommate

My Roommate’s Boyfriend Is Practically My Second Roommate, And I Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way

I don't know what I'd do without my college mom and dad.

2739

Coming into college I was super nervous about my roommates' dating situations.

I had heard stories from almost everyone I know about negative experiences they had if their roommate had a significant other, so when she told me she had a boyfriend I got a little nervous, but it ended up not being bad since it was a long-distance relationship, so he was only there two weekends a semester. Even though that worked out well, when she broke up with him and got a new boyfriend who was on campus, my original fears came back.

Would he be over too much? Would he sleep over all the time? Would they get physical while I'm there? Would I be kicked out all the time? Also, this meant she would be spending much less time with me, which made a little sad not going to lie. Not only that but the boy she started dating was someone I had just become friends with a little while prior, so I was worried that their relationship would affect our new friendship. When the semester started he was always over and I felt like a third wheel at all times. I almost never got to hang out with either of them separately anymore.

I hated that even in my own space I felt like an intruder.

But within a few weeks, that feeling went away, and I realized that having him around really was not bad at all. I began to enjoy him being there so often. They didn't mind me being there most of the time either so we all hung out together quite a bit. It got to a point where he was over so much I would joke that I had two roommates. And even though that was something I was originally scared of happening, It quickly seemed normal to me and it would even be a little weird If we were hanging out and he wasn't there. Over time, he and I grew into better friends than we were before they started dating. We even went to a Post Malone concert together.

As they exited their honeymoon phase and he stopped coming over as much I would still see him at group hangouts, and our friend groups merged into one larger group. And with even more time now we just chill sometimes too. He has become one of my best friends, and not to mention a great wingman. I feel bad for ever having doubts in the first place. He has been there for me so many times, always there to help cheer me up. I remember earlier on in the year I came back to the room and I was really upset.

So when I sat on my bed, I just started bawling, and I felt so embarrassed because he was there. He didn't seem to mind though.

The two of them just sat and talked me through my situation until I felt better. Now, I even find myself going to him for advice about different aspects of my life that I want an outside opinion on fairly often. I was even excited when I found out I had gotten him for secret Santa. I felt like I knew what to get him, and it was my little way of being able to say 'thanks for being kinda cool and not shitty' without having to make things weird. We even were all going to go on a spring break trip together if coronavirus didn't happen.

By the end of that school year we all got along so well we talked about getting a house or an apartment together with one of our other friends. I went from dreading the idea of him coming over so often to hoping they don't break up so I can still see them both all the time. I think no matter what happens between them I will always have a friend in each of them.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.