A Best Friends' Road Trip

A Best Friends' Road Trip

The experiences I shared by traveling with my best friend

32
A Best Friends' Road Trip
Kaitlyn Harrington

The open highway endlessly stretching in front of you, a feeling of wanderlust and adrenaline in the air you breathe and the miles you put between yourself and your everyday life, as you travel to who knows where; these are the perfect ingredients for a road trip.

And yet, it all can still be improved by choosing to share the experience with someone else.

What better person to choose than your best friend?

My best friend and I, we go ways back; we were stuck together like glue throughout our high school years. We knew each other inside and out; we could order each other’s choices at restaurants, sing stupid songs in the car ride to any school event and plan homecomings without ever getting tired of each other.

Photo by Karley Nugent

We shared a bond so strong, we didn’t think anything could ever come between it.

Then came graduation, and two schools separated by state lines and 225 miles.

As life goes on, people grow apart, including even the closest of friends. There were weeks when we couldn’t speak, just because our new lives were so chaotic and other needs demanded our attention. Every time we would get together, we wouldn’t miss a beat. We’d fall back into old and easy conversations, share memories, and make new ones.

But it left something to be desired; as we’d realize we’d have to separate again, and we’d never know how long for.

Both our lives drastically changed in college, the biggest being we found out what we wanted to pursue in life. For me, that meant finding my passion within America’s National Parks, and working to a career in the National Park Service and traveling far and wide. For her, it meant a career in marketing, and settling down in New Orleans and starting her life.

Photo by Karley Nugent

Either way, it meant a more intense separation for us, and I didn’t know when we’d be able to randomly hang out and connect like we always had done throughout college. The future is and always will be uncertain.

So I knew we needed something big; a few days together, just to have fun and be together for one last time until who knows when.

And then, an opportunity: a girl’s trip to a little mountain town, tucked away in North Carolina. I’d been to this place many times throughout my life, and it was a huge inspiration for me growing into the nature-loving fiend that I am.

I’d told my best friend about this place for so many years, and how it was such a huge part of my life, and here I was, with an opportunity to show her this part of my life, and let her experience all of the wonderful things I had experienced.

That was how we found ourselves on the road at 7:30 a.m. on that sunny July morning, with 8.5 hours and 570 miles to drive.

The longest trip we’d ever embarked on together, and a true test of our friendship for sure.

Who knew so many good things would come out of this new experience?

Casual conversations and comfortable silences filled our car ride up to the mountains. Through huge cities and flat rolling lands, I recognized almost everything instantly, and I got to see my best friend marvel at the unknown. To me, there’s no better feeling than bringing someone somewhere new, and watching their initial reactions to it.

When we got to Highlands, I made sure our first destination was Sunset Rock: a cliff overlooking town where one can see all of Highlands, and a gorgeous mountain sunset.

Sunset Rock, Highlands, North Carolina
Photo by Karley Nugent

I could feel my best friend’s excitement as she overlooked everything so new to her, and her excitement spread to me. And that was how we spent our time there; me showing her all around, exposing her to the things I had seen countless times and loved in my life, and she appreciated it all with a sense of awe and wonder.

She was seeing it for the first time, and it was like I was seeing it all for the first time again as well.

Nothing compares to being able to show someone you love so much the things that matter to you, and having them appreciate them, too. It made the experience one I’ll never forget.

From hiking to outdoor concerts to shopping to swimming at waterfalls to relaxing, we did it all on that trip. We had the time of our lives because we needed the time together so much more than either of us realized.

Photo by Karley Nugent

This trip gave me a solid affirmation that I didn’t know I needed; no matter where either of us ends up, nothing can tarnish our friendship. Whether it’s distance or time or anything in between, we’ll always be close. Nothing can take that from us.

Together, we’ve climbed mountains; both figurative and literal, and those experiences we shared will last forever.

Just when I thought the trip couldn’t have ended on a better note, she had recommended one more stop. So on the road home, we stopped at the World of Coke in Atlanta; a place I never thought about visiting until I found myself there, paying for my ticket. I had more fun there than I could have ever expected. So in the end, my best friend brought me something new, too.

All in all, this trip gave me a whole new perspective on traveling. It’s great to do alone, but better to have someone to share it with.

That best friend you had in high school? Call them. Or the best friend you made in college who you don’t see enough? Call them. Tell them, ‘let’s get out of town for a few days. Let’s go somewhere new and experience some things and let’s reconnect.’

You’d be surprised at how rewarding of an experience it can be for you. Show them the parts of your life, and let them show you parts of theirs. Immerse yourself in the experiences you couldn’t have any other way. No matter where you end up, it’ll be worth it just to have the time together.

So, to you and your best friend, from me and mine…

Happy exploring.