To My Best Friend Who Stole My Heart
relationships

To My Best Friend Who Stole My Heart

Being with you has been the highlight of my life

503
To My Best Friend Who Stole My Heart
Personal Photo

To my best friend,

I just want to start off by saying thank you. I understand that I might not say it as often as I should, but I do appreciate everything you do for me everyday. Thank you for being my best friend, someone that I can talk to, not judging me, being weird/different, making me laugh (constantly), but most of all thank you for always being there for me.

Now, we aren't entirely positive on how or when we became friends, but we do that it had a little to do with me knowing and dating your brother. We did meet back in 2011 (roughly). As we started to get closer as friends, your brother and I broke up and he wasn't really happy about it forcing us to end the friendship between him and I.

So, you and I grew closer.

Being friends with you for as long as we have been, has shocked me. I'm used to people leaving my life, while you and I did have times where we didn't talk for awhile, you surprisingly never strayed like the rest.

Even though we are interested in different things, we are still similar and get along great. We would always talk about our interests, like you (trying to) explaining video games even though I don't understand at all. You always dumb it down for me so that I would almost understand it. However, we are similar because with somethings we think the same. You always seem to know what I'm thinking. We like the same type of movies which is funny, we always go see either an action, comedy, or children's movies.

Our interests may differ, but we share them together because we love each other.

You've always been there for me when I needed someone to talk to, which I am forever thankful for. You know a lot about me that not many people know, and you have always been there to give advice and tell me what I needed to hear, even if I didn't know I needed it. You've always been easy to talk to, I know that you'll never judge me. You know everything about me from my fears, hopes, dreams, my frustrating times where I just want to give up (you don't let me of course), and everything in between.

I'm glad that you let me be myself, I have always felt comfortable around you. When I'm being stupid or crazy you never let me do it alone.

It might not matter to most, but for me I'm thankful for how long you've stayed in my life, especially when you've had plenty of times where you could've just left. I'm so used to people leaving and I've always wondered when you were going to too. However, you proved me wrong by staying as long as you have, I'm not really used to people staying in my life longer than a couple years, but for us it's been about roughly 7 years of friendship.

You were always going to my soccer or volleyball games to support me which surprised me. Once I was dating my ex during my junior into senior year, you came to more of my games than he would. You didn't stop being my friend or supporting me despite his feelings about you. He didn't really like us being friends but that didn't stop us, obviously. You helped me through the aftermath of our breakup and with friends leaving you, were there through it all and continue to be there.

However, one day you came to visit me at work that changed everything for me. You came in and had wanted to talk. When I was able to I came over to talk, you told me that you were going to be going into the Navy. I wasn't entirely sure how to respond or what was the right thing to say to that, all that came out was "we need to hang out more" all the while I was thinking "I'm going to lose him." Then you left, while I still had half my shift left to go I was left processing what you said. I didn't want to lose you and I wasn't sure how I was going to keep you in my life at that point.

After that we hung out whenever we could, which wasn't often sense we both worked, but we got even closer which I didn't think possible. As we hung out more and more all I could think about was….you. I was thinking of you leaving and how I didn't want to lose you, you knew/know me better than anyone. Then something happened, I started to catch feeling for you, again. At first, I thought it was because you were leaving and we were spending more time together. However, it wasn't new, I've liked you for awhile. I first realized my feelings back in high school when I was a junior and you were dating my best friend at the time.

I've always liked you, but I (obviously) couldn't do anything about it. Every time we stopped talking I tried getting over you, but then we'd get back into contact and my feelings for you would creep back up on me. I would talk to my friends about it to see what I should do, and they all said I should tell you.

The day I told you I was terrified because I thought for sure that's when I'd lose you forever. However, you surprised me by saying you liked me to. We then talked for hours and decided to try it out. You were supposed to leave and we didn't really want to say goodbye, thankfully we didn't have to because you weren't going.

I'm very thankful for the Navy because it helped me get the courage to tell you how I felt and I'm thankful that you liked me back. You continue to make me laugh and surprise me everyday on how much you love me. I also have to thank you for making me feel beautiful, I know I don't agree with you when you say it, I do appreciate you telling me that I am and helping me feel like I am even when I don't feel like I am most days.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank you for being you and letting me be myself everyday. I love you and I still can't believe how you were able to steal my heart. I have my guard (a wall) up all the time to everyone so that I don't get hurt, but for some reason you were able to break through from the day we met. I still don't understand how you were able to get through that wall but you did and I am very thankful for you.

I love you always and forever and I'm excited for the many more memories we will have together.

Your loving girlfriend/best friend