To The Best Friend Who's Known Me Forever

Thanks for sticking around.

42
Alexis Madonna

Despite how often my friend group has changed throughout the years, somehow you managed to stick around. I’m pretty sure that when we became friends in middle school, we were not expecting to be where we are now, almost 10 years later. But we’ve made it this far, so something tells me that I’m not getting rid of you anytime soon.

You’re basically the only person who remembers my most awkward years because you were right there beside me. All of the pictures, passed notes, and embarrassing videos could not even do them justice. I work with middle schoolers now, and sometimes I wonder if I would even be able to handle little, crazy us. We were a handful, to say the least. We were loud, probably a bit obnoxious, and really weird. But hey, we were weird together.

Most of the time when you look back on those early memories, the people in them are nothing but strangers now.

I’m really thankful that we were different.

Our friendship only grew as we got older. You were always my rock. I fled to your house whenever I didn’t want to be in mine. You were the person I called when I was in trouble. You stole me away for slow-dances when I didn’t want to dance with this guy or that guy, and I returned the favor.

We were always looking out for each other and could communicate with only a glance.

We told each other everything, eventually. Some of the harder things took years, but I wasn’t going anywhere and we had plenty of time. You picked me up when I called you bawling my eyes out at 1 a.m., and made me a care-package full of movies, chocolate, and a fuzzy blanket when I got dumped. I never gave your fuzzy blanket back. You only minded a little.

We definitely had our obstacles, and there may have been times when I wasn’t sure if our friendship would survive, whether it was boys, distance, real trauma, or the fact that we can both be pretty wishy-washy sometimes.

Somehow though, we both stuck it out. I am so lucky to have found someone who refuses to let go and is as stubborn as I am. We’ve both changed a lot through the years, and you would think that would make us grow apart, but we learned to mold our friendship into whatever shape was needed.

I hope you know how important you are to me. I’m honestly not sure if I could live without you; you’re basically a part of me at this point. You’ve been there through all my ups and downs and we’ve survived much more than I ever thought we could. I must not have been completely crazy when I met you, because I obviously got something right. No one could ever take your place, and I know they won’t have to. You’re going to be in my wedding someday, my kids will call you Aunt, and we’re going to be the old ladies causing havoc in the nursing home.

Thank you for all the sleepless sleepovers, the therapy sessions, and the inside jokes that no one else gets.

Thank you for the irreplaceable memories. I will never forget the time we went sledding down the middle of a road only to fall off when we hit a stop sign, laughing so hard it hurt. I will never forget all the vacations that we went on, and how free we felt when your mom let us walk on the boardwalk alone at night. I will never forget the time that we spontaneously went apple-picking, or the time you almost killed me when you got your license. Thank you for giving me stories to tell.

Thank you for all that you’ve done for me, and thanks for being you.

Love,

Your Crazy Best Friend