Hating 'Frozen' Doesn’t Make You Cool

Hating 'Frozen' Doesn’t Make You Cool

Only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart.

105

Whenever people ask me what my favorite Disney movie is, I take a deep breath before I give them an answer. I have an entire spiel memorized for when they ask me for an explanation because apparently, no one understands how "Frozen" (aka the best movie ever made) could be my favorite Disney movie. After all, I'm a huge Disney nerd, right? And since I was born in the 90s, my favorite should be "Aladdin", "Mulan," "Beauty, and the Beast" or "The Lion King," right? Wrong.

Now, of course, I love those movies. In fact, I actually love dressing up as Belle for Halloween because people say I look just like her. I am also obsessed with all the soundtracks from every single Disney movie ever made, and you'll find me singing along to all of them, all day, every day. But there's something about "Frozen" that caught my attention from the very first time I ever watched it.

I remember it quite clearly, actually. It was 2013, I was 17 years old, and I was hanging out in my parents' bedroom, waiting for them to pick a movie. We hadn't had the opportunity to watch Frozen in theaters because life got in the way, and so we ended up deciding to watch it that day. At first, I was intrigued by the ice-picking scene. I didn't know what to expect, but my eyes were glued to the TV. And then I saw Princess Anna. She was incredibly pale like me, and she had freckles on her face like I used to when I was little, but most importantly, her bubbly personality really spoke to me. She was the very first Disney princess I could actually relate to because she was a normal human being.

Anna wasn't the weird but gorgeous town girl, she wasn't a warrior, she had no powers, she wasn't a mermaid, and she seemed to be really content with just being herself. Not to mention, our complexions are very similar and we share the same name. As the movie progressed, I fell more and more in love with Princess Anna, and I knew for a fact that those songs, that story, and those characters would forever be engrained in my heart.

For the first few months after "Frozen" was released, EVERYBODY was obsessed with it (and for good reason!). But after what I like to call the "Let It Go Mania" started fading, people started complaining. In 2015, Frozen Summer Fun debuted at Disney's Hollywood Studios, and people complained. That same year, the Walt Disney Animation Studios released Frozen Fever as a short film, and people complained. In 2016, Walt Disney World opened a Frozen themed ride at Epcot, and people complained some more. I honestly didn't get it. Why would people hate on such a beautiful and meaningful movie?

In my eyes, there's absolutely no reason why people could ever hate on Frozen. It's an aesthetically pleasing movie with gorgeous animation (I mean, just watch the Frozen 2 teaser trailer…chills), wonderful, catchy songs, fun characters, and an inspiring storyline. So, I rest my case. If you "hate" Frozen for no apparent reason, you don't hate it at all. You're just trying to be cool and your heart is made of ice. I urge you to grab a blanket, make some hot chocolate for you and a friend (or your sibling!), and watch the masterpiece that is Frozen. And remember; only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart.