33 Books For LGBTQ+ Youth Because Representation Matters

There's nothing better than representation, but sadly it gets hard to find sometimes.

271

In looking at the shelves of your local bookstore or library, you may begin to feel that each book is just the same teen romance, told over and over again in different ways. And especially if you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community, this feeling is even worse.

Growing up, I would often try to look for myself in the pages of my favorite novels. When struggling with my sexuality, I could barely find any help or connection with the books I was surrounded with. I know this is not an uncommon feeling among the LGBTQ+ community, so here I've compiled a list of 33 best-selling and well-renowned YA novels that someone like me can turn to for representation and understanding. This list is by no means exhaustive, and actually while I was researching I became way more hopeful than before, because there are so many other books out there besides what I finally came to for this list.

So whether you are growing up and looking for some relatable reading, you have grown up and yet still smile whenever you see yourself in books, if you're seeking to understand humans a little more, or you just love a great story, regardless of what community it belongs in, this list is for you.

1. "More Happy Than Not" by Adam Silvera

A new and unique look at family tragedy, the relationships between race and class and embracing sexuality, "More Happy Than Not" details a not-so-far-off future in which a memory-altering procedure lets people get rid of unwanted memories. An extremely powerful book that will stay with you long after you've turned the page, Adam Silvera's debut novel is in a class all it's own.

Find it here.

2. "George" by Alex Gino

A very easy read, "George" describes the elementary school life of a young girl born in the body of a boy. When her school decides to put on "Charlotte's Web" as their annual school play, she really wants to play Charlotte, but everyone else sees a boy. So her and her best friend Kelly create a plan.

Find it here.

3. "Release" by Patrick Ness

"Release" chronicles two stories taking place during the day that changed Adam Thorn's life; his acceptance of who he is and what his life is truly like, and the ghost that has now risen from the lake.

Find it here.

4. "Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda" by Becky Albertalli

Before the extremely popular 2018 movie, "Love, Simon" was a book titled "Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda". Teenage Simon is not yet out of the closet to his peers, but when an email sent as part of an online relationship gets into the wrong hands, his world turns upside down.

Find it here.

5. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Two Latino teens with completely different lives come together at a pool, and nothing is the same again.

Find it here.

6. "Let's Talk About Love" by Claire Kann

After Alice's girlfriend breaks up with her because she found out Alice was ace, the teen's whole summer gets planned out, none of it involving dating. In fact, Alice has sworn off dating forever. That is, until she meets Takumi.

Find it here.

7. "All Out: The No-Longer Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages" by Saundra Mitchell (and a collection of other authors)

"From a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood set in war-torn 1870s Mexico featuring a transgender soldier, to two girls falling in love while mourning the death of Kurt Cobain, forbidden love in a sixteenth-century Spanish convent or an asexual girl discovering her identity amid the 1970s roller-disco scene, All Out tells a diverse range of stories across cultures, time periods and identities, shedding light on an area of history often ignored or forgotten."-cover summary (found at the link below)

Find it here.

8. "Symptoms of Being Human" by Jeff Garvin

A moving book about what it means to be genderfluid, "Symptoms of Being Human" tells the story of Riley Cavanaugh, who, not ready to come out yet in that conservative town, starts a blog to vent about feelings. But what happens when the blog goes viral and Riley's identity is uncovered?

Find it here.

9. "Two Boys Kissing" by David Levithan

Considered a classic in the "Banned Books" genre (if you could call it that), David Levithan's groundbreaking novel chronicles not only the present story of two boys kissing (and kissing and kissing) but also integrates the echoes of gay voices from the past, trapped in one of the worst crises of the time.

Find it here.

10. "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" by John Green and David Levithan

Two boys with the exact same name meet one night, and though their lives are very different, they start coming together in a musical of epic proportions. Told from two viewpoints by two leading YA authors, this story is bound to get you laughing and maybe crying.

Find it here.

11. "Anger is a Gift" by Mark Oshiro

As a recipient of...2019 ALA Schneider Family Book Award Teen Winner, Buzzfeed's 24 Best YA Books of 2018, Vulture's 38 Best LGBTQ YA Novels, Book Riot's Best Books 2018, Hyable's Most Anticipated Queer YA Books of 2018, The Mary Sue's 18 Books You Should Read in 2018, and more, Oshiro's story of a teen named Moss and his trials with family, friends, race, and sexuality is set to become a classic.

Find it here.

12. "The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue" by Mackenzie Lee

A "roughishly, romantic romp," "The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue" follows boarding school bred but still wild Henry "Monty" Montague and his Grand Tour of Europe, along with his best friend, and crush, Percy. Little does he know that the journey will soon became a manhunt across the continent, and nothing will ever be the same again.

Find it here.

13. "The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy" by Mackenzie Lee

A sequel to "A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue," "The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy" follows asexual Felicity (Monty's sister) as she returns from Europe and is set to pursue her dreams of being in the medical field, even though most people believe it is an area only reserved for men.

Find it here.

14. "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic" by Alison Bechdel

This groundbreaking graphic novel, and now Broadway musical, chronicles Alison Bechdel's life from growing up in a funeral home, coming to terms with her sexuality in college, and eventually becoming a cartoonist, told in the aftermath of her father's suicide.

Find it here.

15. "Boy Erased: A Memoir" by Garrard Conley

This one may be for some older readers, but it is not to be missed. Now a major motion picture, "Boy Erased" is the memoir of Garrard Conley, who attended conversion therapy and made a living out of telling his tale of the true cost it has on people's lives. Harshly honest and immensely powerful, this story will strike you to the very core. And I suggest checking out the movie too, if you are able.

Find it here.

16. "Angels in America" by Tony Kushner

Another one that's for older readers, this book (or, rather, script) is one of my favorites of all time. It follows Prior "a man living with AIDS whose lover Louis has left him and become involved with Joe, an ex-Mormon and political conservative whose wife, Harper, is slowly having a nervous breakdown." And yes, it is that crazy, and yes, it is that intense.

Find it here.

17. "Darius the Great Is Not Okay" by Adib Khorram

In this story of a boy who's stuck between the worlds of America and Iran, and doesn't feel like he's enough for both, Khorram highlights a struggle that is extremely relevant for this age. And it is so brilliantly written you will feel completely entwined with Darius' life and struggles, whoever you are.

Find it here.

18. "If I Was Your Girl" by Meredith Russo

Amanda recognizes this new school as a way to start over, a way to become who she truly is. But when someone start's getting a little too close, Amanda realizes that she may have reveal more about her past than she originally wanted to. And that includes the fact that in her last school, she was known as Andrew.

Find it here.

19. "What If It's Us" by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

Told by another two leading authors in LGBTQ+ YA romance, "What If It's Us" finds Broadway-loving Arthur and pessimist Ben spending a summer in New York City, where there just may be a new romance in store for them.

Find it here.

20. "None of the Above" by I.W. Gregorio

Kristin Lattimer has it all, the boyfriend, the homecoming crown, the champion hurdler position, but when she finds out she's intersex, she suddenly realizes that the world is much more different than she originally thought.

Find it here.

21. "When the Moon Was Ours" by Anna-Marie McLemore

Telling the strange tale of best friends Miel and Sam, from the roses coming out of Sam's wrist to the moons Miel paints, author Anna-Marie McLemore weaves a beautiful fable of love and acceptance.

Find it here.

"Boy Meets Boy" by David Levithan

The first book from a leading gay YA voice, David Levithan tells the tale of Paul, a sophomore whose high school is a bit on the crazier side. And yes, he's gay, and yes, he's got boy troubles.

Find it here.

23. "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller

Unique in it's historical setting, "The Song of Achilles" chronicles the relationship from friends to lovers of golden boy Achilles and underdog Patroclus in the Greek age of Heroes.

Find it here.

24. "Luna" by Julie Anne Peters

Although Reagan's life once revolved around keeping her brother Liam's transsexuality under wraps, now all of that's changed as Liam decides to start transitioning. Now Reagan's family must decide if they are ready to fully accept Luna.

Find it here.

25. "The Summer I Wasn't Me" by Jessica Verdi

Lexi is sent away for the summer at a "de-gayifying camp" in order to make her emotionally distressed mom happy. The only problem is, her sexuality doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, and that beautiful girl Carolyn may complicate things a bit.

Find it here.

26. "Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present" by Nancy Garden

Featuring two LGBTQ+ stories of each decade from 1950-present, this compilation illustrates the social and political struggles the community has been through for years, and how love triumphs in the face of all.

Find it here.

27. "Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen" by Arin Andrews

A moving memoir about going through gender reassignment in high school, from the hilarious to the painful.

Find it here.

28. "Geography Club" by Brent Hartinger

A classic in the LGBTQ+ genre, "Geography Club" tells the tale of a group of closeted LGBTQ+ teenagers who start a school Geography Club to talk about their feelings. Because who would ever want to join a Geography Club?

Find it here.

29. "The Vast Fields of Ordinary" by Nick Burd

Dade's last summer at home has gotten off to a rocky start, but when he meets the mysterious Adam Kincaid, that all starts to change. Until one unspeakable tragedy threatens to ruin everything.

Find it here.

30. "Gracefully Grayson" by Ami Polonsky

Grayson is afraid to tell everyone the truth; that "he" is actually a "she" on the inside. But will something this year finally be enough for her to break out of her shell and truly be the person she wants to be?

Find it here.

31. "Rainbow Boys" by Alex Sanchez

A shockingly raw and honest look at what it means to come to terms with your own sexuality in a world that distinguishes "gay" from "masculine", "Rainbow Boys" follows the stories of three different boys who come to accept each other and ultimately, themselves.

Find it here.

32. "I'll Give You the Sun" by Jandy Nelson

Jude and her twin brother Noah used to be incredibly close. However now they hardly speak, and each has only one side of the story. Told by Noah in the beginning, chronicling his drawings and his crush on the boy-next-door, and Jude at the end, as she meets 2 people destined to change her life forever, this story will take twists and turns in ways you never expected.

Find it here.

33. "Lies We Tell Ourselves" by Robin Talley

The winner of numerous awards and honors, "Lies We Tell Ourselves" chronicles a story that we will never forget after we close the last page. Sarah and Linda are on two sides of the civil rights crisis, Sarah as the first African American in an all-white school and Linda as the daughter of a prominent segregation advocate. But when a school project forces them to work together, they begin to become friends, and perhaps, even more.

Find it here.

So grab a book, cuddle up in a comfy chair, and get to reading! I love you and I support you, and I hope at least some books on this list make you happy.

Happy Reading!