Some of the best advice that I've ever received has been when I was going through something really rough or when I needed someone to keep me in check. My hope is that someone will look at this article and carry on this great advice that myself and 14 other people have received.
1. “Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:4
When I was having one of the worst weeks of my life a good friend of mine offered this to me and it helped me so much.
A different form of "practice makes perfect."
Another form of "this too shall pass."
"When I was little, my grandpa told me, "Your education is something nobody can ever take away from you." This meant a lot to me because he was an immigrant from Hungary who came here during their revolution to give his family a better life. He didn't have anything but the clothes on his back and the knowledge he valued. That's why I try so hard to be the best student because regardless of what happens in my life financially or otherwise, being rich in knowledge is something you never lose."
"When I was going through a tough relationship in college, my brother gave me really good advice. He said "don't let yourself become a crutch for this guy. Don't let him use you to prop himself up."
My dad gave me this as his best advice and I wouldn't expect anything less from him.
7. "If you need to cry, cry for one minute. Then pick yourself up, and find 20 seconds of courage you need to make it through this. You’re here because you learned how to handle yourself, now do it again."
If you can, allow yourself to be sad for a minute and then continue on with your life.
8. "You have 50,000 right paths in life. There isn’t one true path to happiness, theres a thousand options you can pick from that will make you happy."
The things that make your friends happy may not make you happy. Only YOU can choose your path to happiness.
9. "God does everything for a reason. You may not know the reason or like the reason, but everything that he puts in your life is purposeful."
"The best advice I ever received was: God does everything for a reason. You may not know the reason or like the reason, but everything that He puts in your life is purposeful. It's done so much for me."
10. "When you see someone who needs help-help them. When you see something that needs done-do it. When you get a chance to goof off-good off and have some fun. We worry too much about wasting time."
The person who gave me this nugget of good advice is one of the wisest people I've ever met. I think after she received this advice she embodied it into her life because I see these words shine through her.
One day last semester I listened to Jeanette Walls, the author of Glass Castle speak about her life and her book. When talking about the obstacles she's had to overcome she said the words above and it's always stuck out to me.
It can be so hard to move on from something that just keeps pulling you backward. It's so important to move on from something, even if it's killing you inside.
"...one of the best pieces of advice I've received is "practice make permanent" rather than "practice makes perfect". It basically means whatever you put in is what you're going to get out, it doesn't matter how much you practice but how you practice."
The saying "worry about nothing, pray about everything" rings to true with this saying.