10 Reasons Bergen County, NJ Is The Best County On The East Coast
Travel

Bergen County, along with much of North Jersey, is home to beautiful nature reserves and scenic outlooks.

125
Taylor Robinson

After a few weeks into my first semester at Rutgers University, I found myself gravitating towards people from my own corner of New Jersey. There's a certain camaraderie among Bergen County residents out of their element... almost every Bergen-raised student I've spoken to agrees. Here are ten ways that demonstrate how much our county has to offer.

1. Our proximity to the city

There's a reason 10 of the top 15 New York City commuter towns in New Jersey are in Bergen County. We're separated from the city only by the George Washington Bridge, and many people consider it their backyard. The convenience of our location means kids grow up with constant trips to museums, Broadway shows, and other cultural experiences.

2. Our wildlife and hiking possibilities

Bergen County, along with much of North Jersey, is home to beautiful nature reserves and scenic outlooks. Ramapo Valley County Reservation, Van Saun County Park and the Ridgewood nature trails are great for exploring nature paths, while the Palisades Cliffs are home to incredible views of the Hudson River and the city.

3. Paramus, the mall capital of America

Any resident will tell you that Bergen County culture is mall culture, and the mall hub is situated in the town of Paramus. Home to the expansive Garden State Plaza and Paramus Park, Paramus outfits Bergen County residents in the latest styles that don't grace the storefronts of other cities until months later.

4. Living on the state line

Growing up less than two miles away from the border of New York, I had access to both states' resources. On Sundays when Bergen's malls are closed, a 15-minute drive could take me to the Palisades Center Mall in Rockland County. And every March, we join the sizeable Irish population living in Pearl River, N.Y., in celebrating St. Patrick's Day with parades and bagels made with pristine New York water.

5. Our high population

As the most populous county in New Jersey, Bergen County residents account for 10.5 percent of the entire state's population. This means there's just a greater chance of meeting cool and interesting people when living in Bergen!

6. The immigrant community

Bergen County is home to the greatest concentration of Jewish people in New Jersey, as well as diverse ethnic enclaves that celebrate residents' Indian, Chinese, Central American, Polish and Filipino heritage, to name a few. Of course, this means stellar food options ranging from packed Jewish delis to arepas con queso. The crown jewel of Bergen's ethnic food offerings lies in its southeastern towns: The top five municipalities in the US with the highest Korean populations are all in Bergen County. Palisades Park and Fort Lee, two t, wns in particular, are home to myriad Korean barbecue restaurants, dessert shops, and supermarkets. Broad Avenue, Palisades Park's main street, contains more storefronts advertising their wares in Korean than in English.

7. Our downtown areas

Bergen County is no doubt suburban, but we love getting out and about. Despite the fact that we have no major cities, most of our towns are home to a downtown area chock full of shops, bougie eateries and cheerful light displays during the winter months. Boroughs like Ridgewood, Tenafly and Allendale in the northern part of the county have more brunch spots and independently-owned coffee shops than you can count.

8. Celebrity sightings

Deep in the lush towns of Saddle River, Alpine and Edgewater lie the homes of myriad retired sports players, newscasters and artists – such celebrities as Mary J. Blige, Chris Rock, Russell Simmons, Patrick Ewing, Phil Simms, Rosie O'Donnell, and C.C. Sabathia. I once babysat Ron Howard's grandson. He lived 15 minutes away.

9. The K-12 education

Many families, mine included, gravitate towards Bergen because of our high-ranking public schools. Two of the three best high schools in NJ, as ranked by US News, are located in Bergen County. Bergen County Academies and Bergen County Technical High School, both free magnet programs specializing in science, math, engineering, and technology.

10. SoJo Spa Club. That is all.

SoJo is a spa overlooking the Hudson, a gem hidden in the town of Edgewater. Outfitted with saunas, pools and massage treatments galore, it's quickly gaining recognition from Bergen residents and out-of-county visitors alike. Plus, there's ramen. What's not to love?