A Benevolent Being Is The Best Being

A Benevolent Being Is The Best Being

Having a big heart shouldn't be something someone takes for granted.

213
A Benevolent Being Is The Best Being
Odyssey

Each day there are opportunities to show others how much they mean to you. Actions prove to be the biggest supporting reason why the friendship lasts, whether it is through a sentimental text message or a random show-up at their room with their favorite candy bar. Knowing the true feeling you get when someone does something nice for you is important and should be recognized, because that feeling should be passed along. But the greatest thing about the whole concept of the 'golden rule' is that it is SO easy to do. People make it more difficult whenever they try to out-do one another, rather than just accepting their gift of friendship or loyalty. It's not always about who can give the best gift but who can give the most meaningful one.

I constantly think about the concept of 'altruism.' Is it real? Can humans really do something good for others without expecting anything in return? For me, the answer is yes. Whenever I hear this conversation in class or around a family dinner, a lot of people deny that this exists to its entirety. But it can and it does. Our world was built on the behavior of benefiting the other person at their own expense. For example, a mother doesn't go through the pain of childbirth for herself. It's the gift God has given in order for the child to be born into the world. Although there are an abundance of things that could go wrong for the mother, she still does it for the sake of another. I wouldn't deny the fact that giving doesn't make you feel good about yourself because it does. But would you do it solely for that rewarding feeling or would you help the man pay for a meal because he hadn't eaten in days? The underlying purpose of altruism is to do things because the other person needs it more. Not that you need it to feel better about yourself.

Why is being a benevolent friend worth it? Because why wouldn't it be? This world makes everyone feel like it's a good thing to have a 'closed heart' or 'careless attitude' just to act like a hard-ass. How is it easier for you to cope with someone when they drop you out of their life because you lack to show you care for them? How is it a good thing to not want to help a friend who is going through a relationship break up when they needed a helping hand? Why is it a goal to try and not act like you care when someone you love is upset? All of this is due to letting bad situations effect how you treat others. Just because someone has done you wrong in your eyes, how is it acceptable for you to treat others the same way? The cycle of this lose-lose situation doesn't change until you stop the process, or inhibit it from defining who you are.

My point is to enjoy making people happier instead of spreading the wrong doings of your experiences onto others. I think you'd be surprised when someone shows love and kindness even after going through hell. It shows that it is possible to become someone who is selfless and giving.