Benefits Of Growing Up In A Small Town

Benefits Of Growing Up In A Small Town

Small Town Living Isn't All Bad!

3420
Benefits Of Growing Up In A Small Town

Let’s be honest– it’s often believed that living in a small town sucks. It especially sucks if said small town is located in the most isolated area of North America. That being said, it’s not all frowns and pouty lips. Yeah, when you go to the Walmart you will see every person you’ve ever met, not to mention Aunt Tilly who was present when you were born but expects you to recognize her twenty years later. When drama goes down, and trust me– it will, everybody will have heard all about it before sundown and have plenty to say about it. When you don’t get invited to a party it’s a huge blow because literally everybody is going to be there. It happens to the best of us. I know this all sounds really depressing and convincing to never move to a small town, but there’s still plenty to love about small town living.

1. Tight-knit community

Obviously there’s going to be small-town politics and drama, but when it comes down to safety and personal struggles, the community cares and often times comes together for support and change. I’ve definitely been to a fair share of benefit walk/runs to raise money for a family in need.

2. Higher Value and Respect for Local Businesses

Usually in small towns there are many people who love to support local business and buy local produce, eat at the best family run restaurants (pizzerias are a necessity); the co-op and the fresh market, along with the coffee shop (NOT Starbucks), family run construction business, carpenters, artists– they are usually loved by a plethora of friendly locals.

3. Everybody knows everybody

Okay, so this isn’t always good, but in terms of safety and helping people out it’s really important. People may be more likely to help others out during the rough holiday season, or if your car breaks down chances are one of the next three cars to drive past you will be someone you know who’s happy to help you out.

4. High school graduations are almost always two hours or less

I didn’t realize how lucky I was to have a two-hour graduation until I went to college and heard stories about classes so big there were two different graduation ceremonies that were much longer than two hours. And I think it’s notable to mention the reason my graduation was even two hours was because we had two valedictorians, so there was an extra speech.

5. Locals get special treatment

I’m actually not sure if this can be applied to big towns or cities, but if you’re a local in a small town, you’re technically royalty when it’s tourist season. You know where all the secret hideouts are, what items are on your family run pizzeria’s secret menu, which streets have the most cops and which don’t. There’s also a good chance you’ll get a deal at the bakery or coffee shop because the owner is related to you or your best friend’s mom.

6. Awesome local festivals

I’m not sure if all towns have festivals, but where I’m from we have two festivals a year: Summer Fest and Freight Night. Basically Main Street closes down, local bands play music, local businesses have awesome deals and street vendors decorate the sidewalks. There are talent contests and face paintings and haunted houses and scavenger hunts. If you live in a small town and this doesn’t happen, move.

7. It’s quiet

Obviously it’s not always quiet, but I’ve lived in the Bronx, I know how loud it can be, and let me tell you, going to sleep at night and not hearing honking or yelling on the street is bliss. Plus it gets quiet enough to hear the birds sing in the morning and rain pattering against the window.

8. The night sky

I know it is a little cliché, but living in a small town rocks at night because there’s very little light pollution. I have so many amazing memories of camping out or sitting on my back deck and looking up at the sky painted with stars and sometimes the Northern Lights, not to mention the harvest moon and meteor showers that burn themselves into your long-term memory.

Yeah, small town living isn’t perfect, but there are some parts to it that really make it all better. Each day has something beautiful about it and even if it’s a bad day, you’re surrounded by a whole town that’s willing to support you and make you delicious hot cocoa (made with milk from the local dairy farm, of course).

There are some fantastic aspects of living in a city too, don’t get me wrong, but if you ever get the chance, stay in a small town for a weekend and let the quiet and nocturnal beauty ease your ears and soften your eyes. It’s not for everybody, but it should be experienced at some point in life, if only so you can get the secret deals and best parking spots.