Beloit Beginnings

Beloit Beginnings

The start of my crazy college adventure.

11
Beloit Beginnings
beloitcollege.edu

The moment I found out that I got into Beloit, my top choice school, was one I will never forget. I was sitting at my computer looking at my email when I noticed that I had received one from Beloit notifying me that I had an update on my account. My stomach dropped a bit but I knew that I needed to open the update. I opened it and saw the first words on the page: "Congratulations Charlotte!" The second I read those words I burst into tears. My parents were not in town with me at the time so I called to tell them the good news. I could barely get the words out through my crying and inability to breathe. When I got on the phone I tried to make the words come out but my dad couldn't understand me. He had thought something bad happened but when I finally told them they were ecstatic. After this, I had to focus on making my decision. Once I committed to Beloit, I was overwhelmed by everything I was feeling. I was excited and nervous and just emotional. I knew this was going to be a big step for me and was going to be a really hard adjustment.

The day finally came to pack up all of my stuff and head off to school. I said goodbye to my friends, my street, and my home that I had never been away from for more than a week in my life. When my parents and I got into Beloit, we checked into our hotel and went to meet my roommate and her family for the first time. We got along so well right away and I knew that we would live well together. After dinner, we all walked out of the restaurant and said our goodbyes until tomorrow: Move in day.

The next morning, we collected our keys and headed to our room to move in. We rearranged our room that had come with a terrible arrangement, asking a few football players to help us move our beds and dressers around, much to the disapproval of our fathers. After moving in, we went to take pictures for our school IDs and then headed back to the room. We all went to the convocation in the chapel and I just sat thinking about the goodbye that was coming up in the next couple of hours. Back in our room, the time came. Saying goodbye to my parents was scarier than I care to admit. My roommate and I both had a hard time with our goodbyes and blamed our parents for never sending us to summer camp because we had never been away from home for long periods of time. The adjustment was going to be hard but definitely worth it.

I had a much easier time adjusting to being away from home than I ever believed to be possible for myself. Beloit is a very supportive community and I have met some of the most wonderful people. The ways that I have been opened up to the world through learning from the community of students around me have been like nothing I ever expected. I couldn't have expected anything so wonderful. Now, being almost finished with my first year, I have realized how much I have changed and grown as a person. The people I have surrounded myself with have made such a big impact on me and I believe that they are friendships I will have for life. This is the start of a new chapter in my life and I cannot wait to keep writing it.