Why You Should Have More Spontaneous Moments

You never know what you might miss.

62
quotesgram.com

A few days ago, I woke up groggily and decided that I wanted to drive back home to surprise my mom for her birthday. In my typical spontaneous fashion, I asked my boyfriend if I could borrow his car to which he (somewhat surprisingly) complied. I threw some decent clothes on, managed my disheveled bedhead and fixed myself up before I was on my way back home.

For the next two hours in the isolated and small enclosure of a Mitsubishi Mirage, I couldn't wait to get home and see my family. I had had a stressful and rather frantic week prior to the trip, which made the feeling of being in my own house again that much sweeter -- even if it was just for a few hours.

Driving back to school on a cloudy evening and on a near-empty highway surrounded by vibrant foliage, I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction with my day. I got to see my family, surprise my mom and have an incredibly enjoyable autumn day without having to worry about school for a little while.

As impulsive as I have a tendency to be, I also have a tendency to put myself on a time schedule. If I have a meeting to get to or even a low-key time to meet up with a friend, I try my best to make sure that I'm there at least a few minutes early. A lot of times, it feels like I'm constantly going and planning without ever really stopping.

That's the beauty of making such rash decisions -- you don't really have time to stop and think about it. Time is just an outlying factor when you haven't really taken the time to think at all. If you're rushing to get to class right now or meticulously planning a schedule for your week, just take a second and breathe. Time never stops, which is why it's important for you to before you let some of the most cherishable moments slip by.