What It's Like Being The Single Girl Of Your Friend Group

It's something that is depressing, yet the greatest thing all in one.

44

I am the loner once again. The only one single girl in a pile of happily off the market friends. And though it might seem depressing, it’s not. I’m happy I’m single. There are times I wish I wasn’t the only one who wanted to go flirt with the pizza delivery guy in order to get free pizza. But I am thankful they sit around the table laughing and giving me the confidence to go do just that.

Though there are downsides to being the only single friend. As I say this please note that I am happy for them, I’m glad my old and new friends found happiness. But being the only single friend isn’t always that great. At times, I wish I had some single friends just to go and do something crazy with, something that will make us question our sanity.

Doing certain things alone becomes a natural instinct when you're single. All plans of road trips seem to be pushed to the back of your mind because you don’t want to ask, since the answer will be, ”I can't, girl, not this weekend.” And you know it won’t be next weekend or the weekend after that. So, you say nothing to no one as you get into your car and drive to who knows where, doing who knows what all alone. But in doing this, you grow as a person.

Another thing, girls time doesn’t mean what it used to. Girls time starts to mean being the third wheel. I’m pretty used to the idea of my friends' significant others tagging along. I don’t mind it and never expect them not to be there, but at times, it does get to be a little too much. It's not how things used to be. And then when you see them being cute as a couple it just makes you sad because you don’t have that. So you remember the words from Eminem’s "Mockingbird" and get over it. But ultimately, hanging around your friend and their SO isn’t that bad.

Being the single girl, means I'm also the friend that sees the tears and frustration as well as the good days. Since I'm single, they don’t have to hide their relationship from me. They’re truthful and tell me how it is. Which, I think them getting into a relationship before me, helped not only our friendship grow stronger, but made me realize that I can be selfish. I’m not ready to give up certain things. Nor am I willing to take my mind off of myself for more than a day.

Being the single girl in the friend group means I have more people on my side when I do decide to settle down. It means I get to see love bloom before my eyes and learn how a man should treat a woman. It means I’m part of a growing family. It means a lot of things. A lot of great things that words can't fully express. Watching my friends fall in love and marry their soulmate is the greatest thing in the world to see. It’s your very own Romeo and Juliet right in front of you.

Just without all the death.

Being the single girl in a group of friends means nothing to my circle. I’m just them without a SO. To them, I’m just me.