Being Sensitive Does Not Equal Being Weak

How Being Emotional Can Serve as an Advantage

39

Sensitivity is a strength

What? No, really. Sensitive people experience live through a lens with no filter. We have to work hard to 'go with the flow' because feelings hit us in waves. There are few things we experience halfheartedly so love is always strong. Loss is usually earth-shattering and joy is soul deep. Tendencies of sensitive people tie not only into interpersonal relationships but into the way we face daily life. Sensitivity does not mean weakness, it means we have no choice but to be extraordinarily strong.

When we want someone or something, we think about it deeply and often

When we have feelings for someone, we are quick to see the potential in them. Casual situations don't usually work for us because we catch feelings quite easily. Thoughts of the person are interwoven into every little part of the day. We think of them, we think of what they think of us... let's be honest. We overthink. But hey, you can't get anything by us! We have considered all the possibilities before they happen. When we find someone that treats us well, we treat them like royalty but when our fears come true about a relationship, we take it hard. It's difficult to separate from someone we love because they have become so embedded in our lives. We have formed a tolerance within ourselves to be patient in our healing process. If someone has reached the farthest depth of us, it may take a little longer to get them out completely. We don't understand it when people disrespect us and find ourselves saying "I would never do that to someone" often. This sense of desire is not only applied in romantic relationships. You should see us take on a career goal! There is no swaying or stopping us. We want that job. We are careful not to allow our sensitivities to influence our actions so we make sure that there is always a presence of sensibility. We will feel the joy of achieving goals at great heights and we will feel damn proud of ourselves.

Change is a challenge

Change must always be taken on with grace and self discipline. Whether it be the changing of seasons, changing of location, schedule, or changing of heart... we feel it. It's not always ideal because in cases of change we have to be proactive to keep up mentally. Realizing that change is the only constant is the only way to approach it. For us, it's a matter of learning through experience. We have a deep sense of self awareness so we know ourselves enough to know that we have gotten through change before. It may require a reminder once in a while, but keeping in mind that we have never seen a change that did not bring new and bright beginnings about is key. Our hearts are at the surface at all times and routine is our favorite. Being a sensitive child is difficult as being free-spirited was not always second nature. As we grow older we grow stronger. Not less sensitive, just less likely to allow it to take over.

We Pick Up on Energy Around Us

The moods of those around us affect us and hold potential to bring us up or down. This is not to say that we have to allow them to take us with them, but we have to take a step back if we want to maintain our own energy. We can also feed off of positivity around and we share in other's joy along with them and for them. That kind of energy feeds us and inspires us. Positivity is a ripple effect for us but we have had to build our own filter when it comes to dodging negativity. We weren't born with it. We had to create it ourselves.

We Are Not Cry Babies

If anything, we have to be tough through things that less sensitive people don't even notice happening. We notice everything because we are subconsciously preparing for the worst. This doesn't mean we aren't hoping for the best. We are just hyper aware. If you are sensitive, then you know how hard it is to feel emotional and disconnected at the same time. This gives us the tendency to become sometimes all-around numb. After too much stimulation, the brain temporarily shuts down causing panic attacks and depression for some of us. The only way to overcome sensitivity is to own it and be proud of it. What does it give you? how does it serve you? For most it has developed our artistry, compassion, and ability to experience life fully and deeply. It is truly a blessing in the bigger picture. Being sensitive is knowing your limits and bounding past them.

Being Loved By Us Is a Unique Experience

There are such depths to us as individuals that allowing a person to reach the most hidden parts is a responsibility given only to those who deserve it. We are actually not all the "wearing your heart of your sleeve" type. Like any gift, there is a certain restraint we must practice. We have had to fight this internal alarm that goes off unwarranted and sometimes unneccesarily our whole lives. Through that, we develop quite a high tolerance for discomfort because we have so often dealt with it. At times, loving us back may require patience because we are conditioned to assume the worst even though we hope for the best in extremes. We have to train ourselves not to jump to conclusions in preparation for downfall while also making sure we don't set your petastoul too high. If we act a little funny its because we are scared that we are in over our heads because we let you in. When "in" is such a multi-layered place to be, its extra vulnerable for us to allow you to join us there. Loving us is a privilege because we are a never ended story to continue learning from. Being loved by us is an honor because love runs so deep and there's so much to give. When there is enough love in us to go around, committing to one human means giving it all to them. Being the only one out of 7 billion people we have chosen to love is magical. We don't give up on people- sometimes at our own expense; we work double time to ensure that we are not being disrespected and that our love is being cherished and not taken advantage of.

We are who we are meant to be

We are unique souls on a journey that we feel very deeply every step of the way. Sesitivity is not weakness. If anything, we are fighters who are learning that having no filter allows the light in even if we have to work hard to keep pain out. At the end of the day, we wouldn't trade who we are for the world. We would rather run deep than miss out on life. We know that feeling strongly about life simply means that we showed up for it. Sensitivity is a quality that can coexist with toughness and self-respect. It may take us a while to accept, but once we do, we know that being sensitive is just another aspect of ourselves that can be used to our advantage. And we are stronger for it.