Being An Odyssey EIC

Being An Odyssey EIC

It's a tough job, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

30
Being An Odyssey EIC
Odyssey

It's an around-the-clock job, really. There are no constraints for the beginning or end of the day. I could be emailing at 7am and editing at 12am. I'm over-stressed and not paid. There are high points and low points. It's not for everyone. Most people would say that they aren't interested or that there is not real benefit.

But me? I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I became the Editor-in-Chief (EIC) for Odyssey at Roanoke College practically out of the blue. I had been writing for about 2 months and had taken up the Contributing Editor (CE) role during that time, also. As a CE, all I did was handle the first edit on articles, so I didn't really have experience with anything else.

Then, one day, I was asked if I would like to be screened for EIC... as the current EIC was stepping down. First reaction? Nauseous, nervous, scared, unsure... pretty much all of the above. As a fairly shy and not very social person, I had no idea how I was going to handle a team of creators... but I knew I had to give it a shot.

So, I set up a time to be screened for the role and, needless to say, I got it. And when I say I got it... I definitely got a lot.

Weekly emails are sent on Monday. Weekley video calls with my Assistant Managing Editor in N.Y. on Wednesday. Weekly team headline submissions by Thursday. All articles due by Saturday at midnight. All edits must be done by Sunday night. Staying in contact with all of the creators to make sure they are meeting deadlines. Helping with ideas, IT issues, and personal issues. Keeping track of late submission excuses. Outreach to find new creators. (Super huge shoutout to my amazing CE, Katie, who helps me handle all of this and keeps me straight. You're the best!)

It never stops. There is always a constant cycle. Not to mention keeping up with my college work, clubs, organizations, and social life.

But, out of all of this hard, and sometimes frustrating, work... I've learned so much.

1. Communication

Prior to becoming an EIC, I was never a super great conversationalist. Sure, I could hold a short, probably awkward, conversation about the weather or something, but I would never feel comfortable speaking with people I didn't really know. Now, I have never felt more comfortable. Through my weekly video calls, connecting with my creators, and outreach to the Roanoke College student body, I have gotten to a great place with my communication skills. This hasn't just helped me with normal conversations, it has also helped me feel more calm and natural when presenting in classes, which is something I never thought I would be able to feel.

2. Friendships

Through becoming an EIC for Odyssey, I was put in a position where it was necessary I connect with people. I have to form a bond with my creators in order for our team to be the best it can be. This has allowed me to make some great friends and find people I have a lot in common with. The best thing is that I now know and love people who I probably wouldn't have met otherwise.

3. Leadership

Sure, I'd had some leadership roles in some high school clubs and things like that... but, I had never really taken the reigns of something so big before. Leading an Odyssey team has shown me how important strong leadership is to an organization and what can happen without it.

4. Teamwork

Previously, I had never been a fan of group work. I never liked having to rely on others and basically hope for the best. Odyssey has shown me how important teamwork really is. Throughout my time as an EIC, I have been able to take my team from a mere 3 creators to a very strong 10 creators who are all very dedicated to their role on the team. Without the help and consistency of everyone involved, we would not be what we are today. I am so proud of how far my team has come.

There are so many more things that being an EIC for Odyssey has taught me. Yes, it is difficult at times and can be fairly time consuming, but it has prepared me more for the real world than a lot of my college courses have. It has given me experience, references, and connections that I am so grateful for.

Odyssey is my home and this team is my family.