Being a Military Girlfriend Isn't So Easy, But It's Worth It

Nobody knows the struggle, unless they've walked the journey.

101
Kathy Richmond

Being in a military relationship is no where near as easy as everybody thinks. Sure, you get to say "my boyfriend's in the military, what does your boyfriend do?" You get to brag that the person you care about the most is brave and strong enough to possibly lay their life down for our country. But it's also while everybody's out with their friends and boyfriends, you're impatiently waiting for that text, FaceTime, or Skype. It's those sad nights, when you know he's got to be up in three hours, but you're just not ready to say good night yet. It's the 6:23 A.M. skype calls because, "BABE, I PASSED MY PT TEST,THAT MEANS I GET TO PHASE UP TOMORROW!"

It's losing sleep, to get those few extra early morning messages in, just to make sure you and him have a good start to the day. You get to spend nearly no time together, and you never know where he's going to end up next, or how long he's going to be there. You have a great excuse to go on weekend road trips, but that means cramming in assignments, long car rides, and no where near enough time to spend with him.

"Military Girlfriend" isn't for everyone. You have to be just as strong as your soldier, if not stronger sometimes. You have to be their support when they're having a bad day and encourage them to pick themselves up, because tomorrow is a new day. You have to be the shoulder they can lean or cry on when they feel so alone and start to miss you and home. The phone never leaves your side, because you don’t want to miss a second of talking to your man.

You're going to get the judgement. You're going to get the questions. But, truthfully, nobody will ever understand, unless they've walked the shoes that you walk daily. Even though the days are long, the nights are short, the drives are long, and the time together is way too short, to me being a military girlfriend is the best thing ever, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Maybe I don't get the night time cuddle sessions, but I have his clothes to get me through. Maybe I don't get to see him everyday, but when I do, the time is perfect. I also get the random letters, that wouldn't happen if I wasn't in the shoes I'm in now.

I love a man in uniform, and I'm damn proud of it.