What Does It Mean To Be Human?

What Does It Mean To Be Human?

I've been upside-down, I don't wanna be the right way 'round.

28931
What Does It Mean To Be Human?
Sami Murphy

I was sitting on the couch one night trying to think of something to write my article about when my fiance walked into the room and asked what I was doing. I responded by telling him I needed to write an article, but was suffering from a never-ending writer's block and could use some inspiration.

I was then shown this video and became inspired within five seconds.

What does it mean to be human?

Wow.

To me, being human means having the freedom to be whomever you want to be. To be able to create and discover yourself as an individual without caring about the judgment of others. Being human means accepting all that you are and living your life in a way without regret or worry. Being human means having and showing emotions. Crying when you're upset or mad, laughing like a maniac when something humors you, and loving people to the ends of the Earth—and letting them know that.

Being human means making mistakes and being flawed. Being human means gaining a few pounds, eating unhealthy sometimes, and having stress breakouts. Being human means split ends, regrowth, chipped nails, worn out jeans, and stained t-shirts. Being human means making friends, and then having their backs turn on you (or vice versa). Being human means discovering all that is around you and traveling the globe. It means spending your entire Sunday in bed watching cartoons or getting up to watch the sunset and then spending your morning worshiping Christ (or whomever it is you believe).

Being human means giving it your all in every thing you do, but also realizing when enough is enough. Being human is putting differences aside and standing together with those you never thought you could.

Everyone will have their own definition of being human—what's yours?