Being Friends With The Emotionally Reserved

It's a hard job.

1486
Rachel Lent

We like you. Really.

Think back to your childhood for a second, specifically the hit Cartoon Network television series, Teen Titans. In the show, there was a particularly dark and brooding character named Raven. She seemed snobby, mean and impatient, but don't be fooled, she was all of those things.

Even though she seemed cranky and creepy on the outside, she had a heart of gold on the inside. Although she always had her nose in a book, she really cared for the other Titans. She even sacrificed her life at one point to save all of them.

Where am I going with this? Easy. There are people out there who relate to Raven. One of those people being me (minus the telekinesis).

I am a very outgoing person. I try to be friendly with people, I try to make friends with everyone and sometimes (okay fine, all the time) crack really, really bad jokes, which I think are hilarious, and I laugh at for ten minutes.

But there's a twist. I often get misinterpreted by strangers as a mean, cold girl. My mother used to always tell me "Smile Rachel, or else people might think that you are a mean, bratty teenager." So I understand that I may seem unapproachable. Wanna know a secret? Occasionally, I am afraid to show my emotions. There are days where I don't show the darker emotions that I go through, such as anger, sadness and fear. I keep it bottled up inside and try to deal with it myself. In other words, I'm not one to wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm one of those people who are loners when they don't feel happy. I'm one of those people who tries to rationally and calmly analyze the situation instead of unleashing the inner Kraken on someone who I am mad at or weep to someone when I am sad.

Now let me be clear, reader, that I am not saying to bottle up your emotions inside of you. I'm saying that there are people out there that are like me in this way. Some people don't smile as much as I do; some are more introverted than I am, and some have a hard time expressing their emotions. But let's be clear on one thing: it does not mean that they don't like you. We emotionally reserved folk show our love to our friends by other means. Just because we don't show our love in the way that you show your love to others does not mean that you should judge us. Also, if you find that your emotionally reserved friend seems distant from you, don't assume that they are upset or angry at you. Instead, this is when we need you the most. We don't like to talk about our feelings, so don't ask us if we are okay. Instead, ask if there is anything that you can do for us. We may not show it at the time, but we appreciate the love, the way you care for us, and will remember it for a lifetime.

So, reader, I know at least one of you has an emotionally reserved friend, and you may sometimes feel frustrated with them for not opening up to you. Do NOT give up on them! They don't intend on being rude or mean, they sometimes just don't want to share what's on their heart, and that is okay. Remember to not judge a book by its cover and to get to know the man or woman behind the apathetic look or the dark demeanor. Give us a chance. It would mean the world to us if you did. We would love it. More than you would know.