Being Comfortable Being Alone Is Important In College
Friendships

Being Comfortable With Being Alone Is Important, Especially In College

Why does being alone have such a negative connotation in our society?

107
instagram.com/go2ou

Going into college without knowing anyone and being terrible at making friends really worried me. You always see groups of friends walking together, eating together, or rooming together in all of the college propaganda. So, when I got there, I was extremely nervous to get around such a large population of people without a friend by my side because I've always seen being alone with a negative connotation. Little did I know, being comfortable being alone is a major part of college and also an essential aspect of growing up, and I am killing it.

First of all, being alone is a lot more fun than it's made out to be. When you're alone, you don't have to worry about exhausting all of your energy on a conversation with a new friend who you don't have that "sit in silence and do your own thing whilst in each other's company" kind of relationship with yet. Whereas when you're alone, you can put all of your focus into homework or simply just to have time to yourself, which is so important. Also, you're giving yourself a break from the urge to fit in, which we all subconsciously do whether we notice it or not. When alone, you have a sense of freedom of introspection, becoming more in-tune with who you are outside of your friend group.

I often times see groups of girls who are always together, and it actually stresses me out. I know it's none of my business, but I personally see thriving off of social interaction or constantly being with someone as detrimental for said person. When you don't have to experience any alone time, when will you grow personally? I agree that there are other areas essential for growth, but learning to be comfortable with being alone or doing things alone while you're young will aid you in your adult years when you can't always be with someone.

If you're worried about others seeing you be alone, just don't. If you are someone who is typically seen with a group especially, just know you don't always have to have your entourage with you. Being alone is okay. Eating alone is okay. Seeing a movie or shopping alone is OKAY. What's not okay is to judge someone for being alone and their ability to embrace their comfortability with it.

I don't see why alone time has such a negative stigma in our society. Even when I call my mom and tell her I did something alone she always has to say something about the fact I did anything alone. It's college. Schedules aren't always going to sync up, and it's truly tiring, especially for those of us with anxiety, to feel the need to entertain someone after being in class all day or after hours of homework.

As I find my place in college, I am growing more and more complacent with being alone. I know I have friends if I ever want to be with someone, but I am realizing I don't need to be. I am choosing to be alone, which I remind myself of daily.

So, if you see someone at the mall, the movie theater, or a restaurant alone, don't worry about them. Be envious of the relationship they have with themselves that gave them the confidence to enjoy their time with themselves. After all, what relationship is most important?