Being An Unspoken Leader
Career Development

The Unspoken Leader

A leader does not lead alone, but with leaders that don't use words.

432
The Unspoken Leader

Actions are unspoken words and more times than less, actions speak louder than words. Like words, actions are a form of expression. They are often the expression of one's command, shown feelings, or covert communication. Words are the opposite. They are the precursor of instructions, depictions of feeling, and a straightforward method of communication. They seem to be compatible and interchangeable, so why would one "speak louder" than the other?

Actions are recognized as louder because like mentioned before they are concealed feelings. They are not a straightforward answer or command. They are the true meaning behind one's intentions. Actions are the emphasis words need to make a message whole, or they portray the subtleness needed to keep something minute. The actions themselves are a whole other language.

Now the leaders and the followers. They would be nowhere without each other. They are like words and actions, compatible and interchangeable. Leaders possess the ability to communicate with words and actions. It is the reason that he or she is the leader. The followers believe in this leader. They trust he or she to lead them down the best path.

The followers are not just a group that wanders aimlessly. They have structure, too. Within the group are unspoken leaders. The don't voice their opinions at the sound of a start gun. They tend to stay to themselves, do as they are told, and help the leader lead.

It is a different concept to grasp but think about it. Who is the one that everyone follows other than the leader?

I have recently witnessed a situation with a leader of an assumed title and another that leads with actions. This situation holds an abundance of concealed tension. This scenario has one side wanting a plan of sorts and another not wanting a plan at all. In the mix, there is one person who does not to take one side or the other. This one says they are just going with the flow. One is always happy and always looking at the positive side of situations. He or she never shows his or her true desires. This one is Switzerland — the neutral zone — of the situation (World War ll reference: Switzerland remained neutral throughout the entire war). This one leads with actions because any knowledge is keeping the group together. The unspoken leader confides in both sides and is able to find a balance that keeps the peace. This unspoken leader continued to lead with action and provided an example to look up to.

This does not seem vital, but without an unspoken leader, the leader would have no one to lead. And the followers would have no one to look up to. Unspoken leaders pose a powerful tool that grants he or she the ability to guide another without saying anything directly.