What Is Being American

What Is Being American

Lately, it seems as though how American you are is directly related to how much hate you proclaim towards Muslims.

17
What Is Being American
Reading Pops

Intelligence. The distinction between humans and animals. Empathy. The distinction between humans and robots. These two "innate" human characteristics are our claim to superiority over all else. Out of the multitudes of species populating this Earth, we are the most capable of loving, thinking, creating, building and growing. And yet...

The woman in the above picture was subjected to a hate crime for wearing an article of clothing that somehow condemns her as a "terrorist." She was publicly ridiculed for adhering to her beliefs. She was shamed for her religion in a place that promises "freedom of religion;" a land where "all men are equal."

Nationalism is a feeling that unifies a nation. A country is considered to be strong when its inhabitants are proud to belong within it. But, extremes can make something harmless exceedingly dangerous.

What is being American? Is it mounting the American flag on your truck and driving around blasting country music? Is it drinking beer, playing football and barbecuing?

Lately, it seems as though how American you are is directly related to how much hate you proclaim towards Muslims. Shouldn't we consider someone a "good" American when they practice the beliefs that our Founding Fathers tried to instill in us, like allowing individuals to practice the religion they want without persecution?

Why do we, as a nation, praise blind hate?

Many people responded to the above picture with hateful comments like "She had it coming," "It's her own fault for wearing a hijab in public," "That's what those kind of people get for messing with us." No one deserves to be publicly punished for their faith. No one should have to feel afraid of going outside and receiving nasty comments and glares for practicing their faith. No one deserves to be a scapegoat.

The person/people that committed this hate crime thought to punish her for all the horror created by extremists within her religion. By throwing those eggs, they became extremists of their own religion/nation. They took it upon themselves to oppress someone they felt superior to. They did not see her as a mother, a wife or a daughter. They saw her as a Muslim. They dehumanized her. They dehumanized themselves.

There are bad and good people in all races, ethnicities, religions, genders and sexualities. The actions of a few within each subsection should not be a declaration of the character of the many.

We must stop the mob mentality.

Intelligence. We must use the intellect that sets us apart from animals and end ignorant hate. Empathy. We must remember that the differences of color and religion do not make anyone less human. The only thing with that power is our individual actions.