So I Joined A Sorority

So I Joined A Sorority

The best decision I ever made!

22
So I Joined A Sorority
Charish Cauley

One of the decisions that I am most proud of making, is deciding to join a sorority when I got to college. Of course, when the idea first occurred to me my thought was, "Is this really for me?" I wasn't sure. I didn't know if I had the time, the money, or if I would feel like I belonged. I watched television, and I, like most people, saw House Bunny hundreds of times. I didn't know if it was the best fit for me, but after running home, I couldn't be more sure.

When I went through recruitment process I still wasn't 100% sure. I visited all the different sororities my college had to offer and met so many people. I didn't know how I was going to be able to tell if I found my match or if I would find it at all. It was on preference night that I felt like I had my mind made up. That's the night I sat down and opened up to a complete stranger! Who knew? I pretty much told her my whole life story and she told me hers. I never thought I'd feel so comfortable, but it was one of the easiest things I've ever had to do. I thought "this is home." I just knew that that was exactly where I was meant to be and where I desired to be.

Every time I walked out of that room I always thought "Is it really time to go? Can I go back in and talk to them some more?" That's when it all clicked for me. When I told my friends that weren't interested in Greek life or my family who knew very little about it, they didn't understand. I heard from my parents "What do you mean you ran home? You're at home right now aren't you?" or from my friends, "You're going to pay money to make friends?" I heard it all. They didn't understand, and I feel sometimes people still don't.

However, I knew in my heart that it was where I needed to be and I'm proven right more and more each day. Joining a sorority comes with a lot of perks that many people don't understand. Our group message is a place for "does anyone have shoes to match this?", "selling these shirts I don't wear anymore," "Hey can ya'll pray for me? I'm having a rough week," "don't forget we have to be there by 7 tonight," and "my car broke down can someone come get me?" It's a support system and a sisterhood that is consistently there.

Chapter is like one big productive hang out with the people you love. I have so many sisters that walking around on campus is never lonely. There is usually a sister heading in the direction you're walking or someone that is free to go eat when you're hungry.

Having a big and being a part of a family within your sorority comes with a sense of belonging, and home away from home. It's one of the best parts. Though I can count on any of my sisters, nothing beats being apart my very own fam. Interesting enough for me, the girl I opened up to on preference night became my big! Now she is one of the most influential and important people in my life, and one of my best friends. I know that if I need anything or have any questions about anything at all she is going to be there to help.

I love being able to raise money for a philanthropy that we all stand behind and support. I can't think of anything better than working towards a greater cause with a bunch of fantastic girls. It's great to keep the same friends you've always had, make new friends, and spend time with family. However, there is just something about having a ton of sisters who share your values to tackle college with. Having so many choices for bridesmaids at your future wedding isn't half bad either.