Becoming Creative Isn't As Hard As You Think...

Unicorns, Dracula, or flying pigs. Nothing is impossible.

89
Renee Fisher

Creativity can be defined as the use of imagination or original ideas. Many people think that you are either born creative, or you aren’t. While this is kind of true, that doesn’t mean that you can’t become creative. Creativity can be a quality that every person has, no matter what side of your brain is most prominent. Studies show that you can train your brain to think more creatively.

Keep an open mind

Closing your mind off to the endless possibilities is basically a cut off for creativity. Think about things in many different ways, there is more than just one “right way”. Everyone is different, everyone can come up with different ideas. Think about things in your own way. This will ensure a more creative result.

Engage in mindless activities.

When stuck on a project try to think about things while doing a mindless activity. Sometimes the best ideas can come to you when you’re least expecting it. When concentrating on one specific thing, people often can only come up with two or three ideas. When stepping away from the project, it can spark new ideas. Sometimes the best ideas come to you when you weren't searching for them.

Imagine the impossible.

Imagine that you have unlimited technology, unlimited money and you have the knowledge to create the impossible. Doing this is fun, you have endless possibilities. One of those impossible creations may spark one that is feasible.

Ask a child.

Children tend to imagine the impossible, if you’re stuck in a rut, talk to one. Children tend to be more creative than adults, there’s a lot they can teach you about creativity.

Flip the problem.

Something common can be switched around into something revolutionary. What is your problems opposite? Is there potential in the opposite? Even if there isn’t potential there, it at least can spark your creative mind.

Find inspiration.

Inspiration can come from anywhere. You can get inspired by going on a walk, doodling, daydreaming, on a beach, or even at work. The possibilities for inspiration have no limit. Find your inspiration and take advantage of it.

Become curious.

Becoming curious about anything and everything can spark a creative idea that you never thought existed. Utilize curiosity, it’s a strong tool for creativity.

Explain everything.

All things in our everyday life can be explained. While some explanations are more simple than others, it’s the simple ones that will grow your mind. Think about the processes, can they be altered?

Creativity is important, expand it.