Common Myths That Lead To Victim Blaming

Just because ______________ doesn't mean I want sex.

8
Huffington Post

Amid recent events, many are beginning to speak up against sexual assault. On my college campus, many stood against sexual assault and shared reasons it wasn't okay, plastering them on the walls of the student union. Here's what they wrote:

Just because _______________ doesn't mean I want to have sex.

1. I was friendly.

2. I seemed interested.

3. I said "yes" before.

4. I gave him my number.

5. I was wearing a short skirt.

6. We went on a date.

7. I like you.

8. You bought me something.

9. You paid for dinner.

10. I've been around.

11. I was drunk.

12. I'm high.

13. I "seemed" into it.

14. I want a relationship.

15. I am single.

16. I went home with you.

17. We're close.

18. I am a male.

19. I wanted it yesterday.

20. I am horny.

21. I want to have sex.

22. You're making me laugh.

23. I haven't had sex for a while.

24. I have a "nice" body.

25. I am curvy.

26. I am kind to you.

27. I have a nice car.

28. You've heard I've had sex before.

29. We are in a relationship.

30. I kissed you.

31. I didn't say no.

Sexual assault takes many forms including attacks such as rape or attempted rape, as well as any unwanted sexual contact or threats. Usually a sexual assault occurs when physical contact is made in a sexual way, even through clothes, without that person's consent. ”

Sexual assault and victim blaming, on many occasions, go hand in hand. Today, many myths in our society exist which argue that a survivor is somehow to blame for being sexually assaulted.

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted you are not alone. Stand up, speak out, and get help. Call 1.877.237.5888. or visit http://ccasayourworld.com/get_the_facts/victim_blaming/

"It's your world. Sexual violence doesn't belong in it."